The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A license to rant…

Wow…a bonafide license to rant. Heh…like I needed THAT.

The picture on it sucks though. It doesn't look anything like me. And no expiration date! You are so screwed...

My very own blog. Have I built the anticipation enough, yet? Waiting through almost a year of constant nag…er…encouragement, I mean;) I know you'll all be patient with me as I learn the ways of the blogger. And all goofing aside, I really do appreciate that.

Still not sure what I’ll do with this thing. The places it will take me (and you) are a complete mystery. I’m okay with that…but I hope you’ve taken your Dramamine…and you may want to get a seat by the door…or at least buckle up…as it’s bound to be a long, bumpy ride…with more than a few sharp left turns... The tickets are cheap, though, so bring the whole family and make a day of it.


As a 40-something (ugh!), working, divorced mom of three, in a new relationship with a wonderful man, and being so busy I don’t have TIME to do anything noteworthy, it’s difficult to imagine what I’d have to write about…but it will hit me or it won’t. Here…you guinea pigs...have some lettuce. I may need you to stick around a while...

Not sure how often I’ll update, but if you’ll play along, I will, too. And until the pain becomes unbearable, we all may have a little fun. (Most likely at my expense.) Now come on…let's boogie...it’s time for the very first ORAL REPORT…


All my heroes are bloggers…

Okay, maybe hero is a little strong. I’ve always found myself attracted to, drawn to, impressed by, articulate, intelligent, humorous people. So, my heroes may be a little unconventional..by the widely-accepted definition of the word, but I don’t know any real life slayers. Over the past few years, I’ve run across…not literally, you understand…a great many folks out there on the ether, expressing themselves with great passion about any number of topics and I find that intoxicating. And as I have befriended many of these people, I've come to discover that the social barricades people tend to erect in a face to face situation completely disappear in this context. It's positively refreshing. I'm not foolish enough to believe everything I read. But, I delight in the possibilities.

Add to that the fact that it's getting to the point where EVERYone I know has a blog...including my two teenaged daughters! I find myself, once again, dragged kicking and screaming into the next technological age. Pretty old fashioned sometimes. (Never thought I’d have a DVD player…now we have THREE.)

Bloggers are cool. They're smart and sassy. They're the renegades of the information age. And when they're raging against the machine...I get all flush and weak in the knees. Luckily, I'm usually already sitting down at that point.

Back in the day, when I was passionate (to the point of pig-headedness) about quite a few things (you’ll all be glad to know that that particular list has dwindled dramatically…else I’d be using this virtual soapbox in a far less entertaining way), I wanted to change the world. Not that I had a plan or any cool sci-fi equipment to actually do it. I suppose it must have been the latent hippie in me. Osmosis from my REAL birth-parents, surely. Birth-parents…heh…that’s fodder for another entry…allow me to let that one lie…for now.

Anywho…as I was saying…blogs intrigue me. Once upon a time, I was majoring in sociology in college. Leaning towards a career in research. Studying people. That, to me, sounded like the ultimate job. Natural curiosities would be tended to. Plus, you know, the whole save the world thing (from the inside out), too. Kewl…

It was long before the internet. LONG before the internet. Gads, I’m ancient. But, had it been around then, my entire course-study would have been vastly different, I’m sure. In fact, I never got my degree and have often thought of going back and finishing it. (Actually, put a few more credits on the tally several years back, but the demands of motherhood reared their...well... demanding heads!) But, I’d imagine, if I walked on campus…using my aluminum walker now, of course…once the 18 year old chick in the registrar’s office quit laughing at the old broad with the walker trying to sign up for classes…they’d calmly explain to me that due to the technological updates in the last 25 years, I’d be starting over from scratch. That’s depressing… Thinking about all the cool new tools to study human behavior, and me forced to be an uncertified rogue sociologist to use them.

The internet continues to give me the fix I need when I want to study the human animal, though. Primarily, with the invaluable help of bloggers. Oh, news and weird links are always an interesting distraction to me…I’m entirely too easily amused sometimes…but the bloggers are like the fix I need. People letting you into their lives. So eagerly. So unashamed.

I love the topical blogs, especially the political ones...lefty, of course! But, the blogs that are just regular people. Talking about their regular lives. The ups and downs of just making it through a day. It's like peeking through their windows...without the fear of the nightstick cracking you in the back of the head. Not that I know what that feels like...

Sometimes, I pick up a tip or two. An idea that I can use. But even when I don't, I feed on the motivations people have for doing what they do. I find it fascinating. I don't have to agree. I don't even have to comment. There are times, as there was recently, I am so moved...so connected...with what some complete stranger is going through, that I feel compelled to cheer them on, or warn them. In the last few days, at a blog I'd lurked at for months, I posted a comment to a woman who was dealing with the emotions of a very recent break-up of a long-term marriage. I felt I had some insight that I could share and I wished her the strength and courage of her convictions. She told me I had made her day. And that was nice. I don't need that. At least I don't think I do. But, I suppose in setting up my own blog, I'm looking for a little of it.

In any event, I think people who open themselves up to the world...baring their souls for the likes of me...are a brave lot. A heroic lot. And I'm pleased to join the ranks...even if I'm about a year late doing it. There are reluctant heroes, right? I mean, not just the fictional ones...

13 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Excellent start to an excellent blog. Now, do you want me to send out a blizzard of announcements so you get more attention, or do you still want to take it slow and have me as your only audience for a while?

Love you!

1/04/2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger Tony Collett said...

Too late, I got H's announcement and added to word to my blog. Welcome to the blogosphere Tammy, hope you survive the experience (phrase copyright Marvel Comics and Toyfare magazine)

1/04/2006 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me be the second to congratulate you- or at least comment.

I have to confess I only skimmed through your first post... that's my M.O.: skim then reread anything that makes me do a Hanna-Barbera triple take (sound effect and all).

It struck me you're doing reverse sociology: let 'em come to you and say their piece.

"mfmbe"? I was robbed on my verification word!

1/04/2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Welcome, ma'am! I've been busy battling phantoms, tilting windmills and muffling my own screams today, or else I'd have stopped by earlier. By this time next week you may actually know a "real life slayer" after a fashion.

I look forward to seeing how you handle this, and I'll be making note of this new and interesting place on my own blog shortly... after I finally get to my dinner before it becomes Thursday's breakfast.

1/04/2006 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nznjuv? Talk about getting robbed...

Welcome to the blogosphere at any rate. Fantastic first entry, btw!

You make an excellent point, blogging is a lot like exhibitionism, and reading blogs is definitely an act of voyeurism. In a way, the blogging community is kind of a fetish club, some of us like to watch, some of us like to be watched, and some of us go both ways.

It's a lot of fun regardless.

Looking forward to the next entry.

Nate

1/04/2006 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to be a blogger, but I'm too busy writing novels... 8-). Looks interesting, though!

1/05/2006 12:50 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Welcome to the bloghouse! It looks like we have trouble, right there in River City. That's trouble with a t... never mind.

I'm happy that your finally blogging, but envious that yet another superior talent and intellect is outdoing me on a regular basis.

Great first post! I will add you to the hallowed links list
with all due haste.

1/05/2006 3:19 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

OMG!! What a way to wake up!!!

Tony, Nate and Mark
You are ALL entirely too kind, but I appreciate the encouragement and support, now and always! Bloggers really are pretty cool people. And, yes, Nate, I believe you've captured blogging in the proverbial nutshell.

Mike
Thanks for the post on your site directing a little traffic here. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. I know how busy you've been Don Quixote. Keep up the good fight.

Crypt Leak
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you come back. You are entirely correct to call me on my attempts to short circuit the sociological process. I did say I was a rogue, didn't I?

S.M. Stirling
OMFG. S.M. Stirling commented on my blog. S.M. STIRLING COMMENTED ON MY BLOG!! I'm currently reading (and thoroughly enjoying) CONQUISTADOR and surprised to see you here doesn't begin to cover it. Thanks for taking the time and I hope you can stop back.

Highlander
My love, your encouragement and support, in this and everything I do, are invaluable. I'm sure everyone who has stopped by knows who the responsible party is for this thing. You'll be getting emails. I'm sure. ;)

1/05/2006 5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well well well. first time blogger and you have loads more comments than I ever do. I'm green with envy. Anyway, before I started (what, 3 years ago now?) I loved blogs. I became connected with the bloggers, fell in love with some, wished I was others...but let me tell you, they are NOT all good. How many did I stumble over that were a terrible waste of space and words.
I don't know why, but I am fascinated with people. I love to watch where their lives might go. Years ago, I went to college for psych but, like you got pregnant, etc etc....
The bloggers that meet up and connect are alot alike, aren't we? Thanks for lurking and then reaching out when I really hit bottom. Hope you stick around?

1/05/2006 6:03 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Marci -

Thanks for stopping in. I do hope you wander back around.

I agree with you that not all blogs are worth the effort. I'm not gonna list all the ones that I've skipped right over, as sending more traffic there seems an injustice to the folks gracious enough to stop in here. Plus, it's usually easier to just forget them altogether. I don't want to leave you with the impression that ALL bloggers are good. There is evil afoot out there and don't I know it. Just an awful lot of interesting finds that are not pre-packaged fluff.

As for the vast amount of commentors, I'm lucky enough to have some great folks who have been encouraging me to do this for a long, long time. And they figure they owe me...;) As for S.M. Stirling, I have no idea how I got that lucky! Tomorrow, I expect to see something up here from Kevin Costner (that's all for you Mike...heh), but I'd take something from George Clooney instead.

1/05/2006 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know alot of your commenters personally? I am terrified that someone I know will find me. Normally, I am a VERY private person. Somehow, even though I am friendly and people are drawn to me, to talk to me (just being totally honest there)- there are many times I purposefully don't answer my phone or door...so, anyway, yeah, I am an extroverted introvert...my blog is where I say EVERYTHING....You're the brave one.

1/06/2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Actually, Marci, Highlander and I live together. Most of the rest of them...well...it gets a little complicated from there. It branches out in several different directions. Most of my blog buddies originated through him. I think that's safe to say. I've met Nate personally. And Marge & Carl. Highlander has met some of the others personally (Opus & Zillabird).

I'd imagine that my ex-husband may have already found this. Or, if not, that he will soon enough. I'd rather he would get on with his life and not feel he needs to keep up with everything going on in mine. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Not sure how I'd feel if anyone else I knew found it. It would depend, I guess. And I don't have much up yet that could be controversial.

1/06/2006 12:59 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

I've only know our hostess and H via correspondence and phone calls, though in H's case that goes nearly back to the start of the '90s.

1/06/2006 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home