The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Simply Linkatational

It's about time. It's about place. It's about time I put up a bunch of trivial links to rob you of valuable chunks of your finite lifespan which will, ultimately, keep you from much more productive, lucrative, creative and altruistic endeavors. Lifespan that you will never, ever, under any circumstances be able to get back. Are you in?
And, what better place to start than with that thing that puts a foolish grin on my face almost every time. Here's my new fun "sign" generator of the day. Technically, I realize, it's not a sign. It's your chance at recording immortality as you Name That Tune.

While I'm still licking the wounds for being shut out of participation on the panel of wuss-perts who put together the list, I felt it would be some kind of injustice (I don't know what kind, I'm just making this shit up as I go anyway) not to include a link to it. Navigate up and down to see the 111 Wussiest Songs Of All Time. Without giving too many spoilers, I have to admit to liking many, apparently, really wussy songs. And it pains me, truly pains me, to say that Eric Clapton has a song on this list (though it's waaaayyyyy at the end). I suppose it's because I wasn't there to keep it from happening.

Mike Norton enjoys these things almost as much as I do. The ADS, I mean! Sheesh...you people... Personally, I was unable to avoid posting this particular ad, due to the juvenile humor it created when juxtaposed alongside the blog title. Yeah, you're right. I didn't really try all that hard. There are plenty of other ads out there, though. Deepdownhound's got some pretty funny ads from the fifties...and some even funnier captions he's added to go with them.

Go. See. Mock your parents' generation. That's right. I'm STILL a bad influence on your kids, and you can't do ANYthing about it either.

If you've been holding out, waiting for the prices of MP-3 players to come down, I've got a little something for you. This is about the cheapest MP-3 player price I've seen yet. If Martha were here, she'd mention that the Christmas shopping season will be here before you know it...

Like the JFK murder (though Bill Hicks may have gotten that one solved) and the Amelia Earhart disappearance, the identity of the London killer known as Jack the Ripper is a mystery that was never solved. Or was it? New (well, sort of) evidence as to the identity of Jack the Ripper revealed...

How about X-3 with hand puppets? Sure. Sure. It would be better if it were animated. But, there are some funny bits nonetheless.

How about cats that look like Hitler? I can't help it. This looks funny to me. Of course, I'm talking about cats that have markings beneath their little noses that look like tiny mustaches. I don't know that I'd make a whole website of collected photos of it. In fact, I think I can safely say I would not. Still. Heh. Ach du lieber, Mein Furrier...heh. Sorry.

In maybe the least appropriate segue of all time, I take you from Hitler cats to an interesting approach to the gay marriage issue? This article in The Chronicle of Higher Education, about privatizing marriage, is an option I hadn't considered. This is one the republicans will have a difficult time with. They'll love the idea of running this through a corporation, but they'll hate that they'll have to come up with another way to keep the godless homosexuals in line.

For anyone close enough, go see the Del Close marathon, here's an opportunity. The creator of 'The Harold', he was an influence in the careers of people like Bill Murray, John Belushi, Harold Ramis, and Stephen Colbert, to name only a few. If you are near LA, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Austin, SLC, Philadelphia or Toronto, it should be well worth the $20 admission to see the improv marathon that is in celebration of a truly weird guy.

That's all I've got. Besides, you've goofed off on the computer long enough. Go do something in the real world! Okay, just five more minutes. But, then I mean it!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike Norton said...

Interesting to see someone else choose some of the same images I did, though I have to say I like my captions more than his. ;)

Loved the Hitler cats...

7/26/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Drew -

No problem on the link. Just one of the many, many services we offer around here. Subscribe now and you also get the Bass-O-Matic. It dices. It slices...;)

Mike -

I agree whole-heartedly. Your captions ARE far superior. You should do some more of those soon!

7/26/2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Tony Collett said...

I never heard of the Del Close Marathon. I've heard of Del Close, though. First through a comic he co-wrote with John Ostrander called Wasteland, a semi-horror anthology with autobiographical bits strewn in.
I even met him one year at Chicago Comicon and got my picture with him.
If you can't get to the Marathon, get to the comic shop, pick up some issues of Wasteland and thank me later. You thought Bill Hicks was an eye-opener...
BTW, dunno if it's on the CD I gave you, but Bill does a routine about going to the Book Depository 4th Floor, that is set up just like it was that it's so accurate "Oswald's not in it".

7/26/2006 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my "sign generator" site of the day:
http://www.CustomSignGenerator.com

7/26/2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Tony: Same with me, that's the only place I knew him from. I'll have to dig out my copies of Wasteland and give them a re-read, but I will tell you that my opinion of Del Close based solely on his work there -- and I can nearly quote my long-ago self -- "Who did he have pictures of naked with farm animals to get this published?" As best I can recall most of the pieces took an interesting concept or slant... and then died unresolved. I can't recall much beyond the one on Fugu and probably the only one I actually enjoyed, which was a partial fictionalization of how Close came very near to likely being molested and murdered by a self-styled "inventor."

It could very well turn out that I approached most of the material with the wrong attitude or even background at the time, and might love them now.

7/27/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Tony -

Yes, the bit you reference was on the cd you gave me...hence the reference in the post. I had NO knowledge of Del Close's comic book cross-over potential. Gee, interesting.

Mike -

Let me know, on re-read, if you change your mind. My bet is you won't. Your instincts are generally pretty good from go.

7/28/2006 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home