The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Swerving All Over The Road

Today, I've got all of these random bits swirling in me noggin', trying to get out. None of them enough for a blog post, but mayhaps, if I throw a little of this in with a little of that, it will develop. Nothing I want to get too serious about. Not today anyway. In the meantime, how about I clear stuff out a little? You can help sift. If not, it may be safer for you to wait in that ditch alongside the road. Deal?


* Yesterday afternoon, my seriously self-conscious middle child called me at work. She's been making some progress, lately, on being more comfortable in her own skin. Always hard for teenaged girls, but she's had a tough time with it. It's been difficult for her and she still kinda comes and goes with it. Sometimes she gets really shy and really hates anyone bringing attention to her, other times, she's as open about things as...well...me, I guess.

Anyway, yesterday, she called me and announced, "I feel like I look really pretty today, Mom."

I kind of laughed into the phone. "Well, that's great. I'm glad you called to share that with me."

"No, Mom, I mean I really look good today."

"Great. I'm glad you feel good about yourself, Sweetie. Are you calling everyone with this news?"

"Mo-ooom! Do you think you can borrow the digital camera from work, so that I can take some pictures while I'm looking this good."

Heh. I guess it was a limited time offer kind of thing. But, honestly, I'm digging on the improvements in the self-confidence area for her. And stuff like this just cracks me up!

__________

* Last night, [Kid 3] was looking for a big cardboard box. She wanted something to convert into a little dollhouse. The elaborate one that her dad and I made (for [Kid 2] actually) is still at her dad's house, and while she has PLENTY of toys at our place, there's no dollhouse.

I had a terrible headache most of yesterday and was of little or no help. Highlander, though, always at the ready for his females, started scouring the apartment and then the basement. When he came up dry, she was a little disappointed. She didn't whine or make a big show of it, she just had the 'unhappy eyes' and the slighted hint of lower lip protrusion. Which, of course, sent Highlander out into the world. "I shan't return without that which the Princess most desires.", he announced as he mounted his steed and lowered the visor on his helmet.

He wasn't gone long before he was back with a ginormous box. Which, of course, made [Kid 3] scamper and twitter and sparkle. She threw her arms around him and beamed up at him and it was over. He was so gone that he may never be back. All I could do was to sit and watch the contortion as his body involuntarily wrapped itself around her teeny tiny outstretched pinky. It was the most amazing thing. Really.

After helping her cut windows and doors into the Barbie mansion, she immediately started filling it with dolls and furniture, decorating the outside, and generally having the very BEST time with it. Which, of course, only juiced him up more.

At one point, he turned to me and said, "I can't believe she's getting so excited about a cardboard box." I wish my head hadn't been hurting so much, I'd have loved taking pics of the two of them. Her flitting excitedly as she played with her cool new 'toy', him glowing as he watched her. Sometimes there's so damned much 'first time dad' coming off of him that it's blinding.

__________

* "Bobbing, hairy man ass". Are you familiar with the phrase? I wasn't myself until recently. But it's one I've learned while I've been thoroughly enjoying my Bill Hicks' cd that Tony Collett brought me recently. I wasn't sure what I expected, but somehow I thought probably more political stuff than anything else. And while there is some political stuff on there (Gays in the Military - "Anyone STUPID enough to want to be in the military should be allowed in. End of discussion."), he does a lot of off-color stuff as well. Yeah. I know. I'm easily amused sometimes.

Frankly, I was really yucking it up over some of this stuff (going as far as making Highlander sit through part of it because I thought it was so funny), but I kept thinking, "There is NO WAY that Mrs. Collett is a fan. No. Way." This has GOT to be a private passion for Tony. Tony, I DARE you to disavow me of that notion.

While this guy has several cd's out there, it's with some sadness that I note that he's been dead for over ten years.

___________

* [Kid 3] and I have been talking about me becoming a grandmother lately. I know a lot of women would take issue with that. Not so much, me. And let me just note that my six year old is not currently seeing anyone and has no plans (other than a tea party) in the foreseeable future.

I've been lamenting about her growing up on me and leaving me baby-less. It's just that sometimes, when I'm lying in her little bed with her and we're reading bedtime stories, I realize that I only have a little more of that left. And with me being out of the baby business, I won't get the chance again until I'm a grandma. So...while I'm in no hurry for my older girls to be out there getting jiggy with it...I already can't wait to have some grandbabies.

[Kid 3] and I have been discussing her role as an aunt and how her older sisters will be the aunties to her children. A concept she's having some difficulty fathoming at six years old. Which, of course, only adds to the amusement factor of the conversation, as far as I'm concerned.

Eight to ten years is gonna be a long ass wait. Especially if I'm already counting down. Of course, I can probably figure out a few things to do while I'm waiting...

_________

*...Stuff like torturing Highlander. I'm working on a little surprise for him. The other day, he came up behind me while I was on the computer working on said surprise and I had to cover the screen with my hands. I don't usually do that.

I had to explain to him that I'm working on something, which, at this point, may not even come to fruition. If it does (and I won't know until January/February), I may need to tap a few of you for a favor. But that it was something about which he did not get to have information for a while. When he found out how long, I thought he would die. I have to admit, it's a long time to wait.

I'm pretty sure there is no WAY he can guess the surprise. But it should be genuinely cool if I can pull it off. Those of you in the know would likely agree. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Until the first of the year would be good.

All I'm going to say is 'Hang in there, Highlander. I love you, Sweetie.'

__________

Not much else right now, gang. Oh, sure, there's work stuff and some politics and even some stuff going on in my personal life. None of it that I want to talk about today, though. I suppose I should start thinking about Flashback Friday!, huh? Eh...maybe tomorrow. This IS the lazy days of summer, right?

3 Comments:

Blogger SuperWife said...

Drew -

I don't suppose there's any kind of remuneration that goes with those congrats for being numero uno, is there? Just checking...;)

Good luck on the teaching gig. It sounds like lots of fun.

As for 'sticky blog' fun, well, it's not always like that around here, but today I'm feeling a little rambly. You take your chances at The Oral Report.

Hope to see you back and good luck on the new blog!

7/19/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Tony Collett said...

<<"There is NO WAY that Mrs. Collett is a fan. No. Way." This has GOT to be a private passion for Tony. Tony, I DARE you to disavow me of that notion.>>

No, you got it right on the head. I'm not even gonna try.

7/19/2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger FindingHeart said...

I just totally relived cardboard box heaven. When Mancub had chickpox, he was out of action for over a week. I stayed home most of that time. We ended up using some moving boxes to build a fort. Eventually, it ended up amost 7 feet tall, 5 ft deep, with 4 different rooms, two towers connected by a suspension bridge that he could climb across, sewn together with twine and rope, and had a dungeon. that thing stood for a good 12 months! LOL! and yes, for a while there, I was the king of good times created. :) My congrats to Highlander!

7/21/2006 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home