The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Somniloquy

Oops, I did it again.

I don't have a vast history of it, but enough to make me believe claims when they surface.

Once, about 25 years ago, give or take, (sorry Dee, I realize I'm busting you here, too) a camping trip with my best friend took a weird turn when I awoke (well rested, as I recall) to find her huddled in a corner of the bed with blankets all heaped up around her. As anyone would, I inquired about what was going on, and she advised me that "ever since I'd notified her about the snakes in the floor," she'd gotten not another wink of sleep. Mortified that somehow they'd get us.

::blink:: ::blink::

"Huh?", I said, rubbing my bleary eyes, wondering what exactly she was going on about.

Had I known about any snake infestation, I, likely, would have shared her horror...and beat hell outta there. But I didn't recall any such conversation. Apparently, after some discussion, we determined that I'd been muttering in my sleep. She'd ignored most of it, but the word "snake" woke her right the fuck up. Frankly, I'm right there with her. Snakes creep me out big time.

She was kinda mad at me that next day. Despite numerous apologies. (Probably her lack of sleep made "cranky" the default setting anyway.) But, it didn't take long before it became an "in-joke" between us.

This morning, D asked me if I recalled waking up and having a conversation with him last night. Now he hasn't had what I'd call extensive experience with me sleep-talking to him, but let's just say he's not a 'virgin', either. 'K?

Apparently, last nights ramble was about someone eating dirt, and my concern with same.

Yeah, reread it if you want. It says exactly what you think it says.

I have no idea what it was about or who (other than a 'she', as reported by my hubby, or I wouldn't know that much). He wasn't able to shed much more light on it either. Which, come to think of it, is always strange to me. Not so much D, but anyone whose reported these incidents to me. I mean, hey, you remembered it enough to remind me about it the next morning, why couldn't you find out more at the time? Sheesh.

Without exception, I never remember anything about these incidents. Rarely, are they revealing (other than the part where I appear unmistakeably addled) or anything other than a nonsequitor. Luckily, my husband finds these middle of the night outbursts amusing. Oh, the slack I get from that man...

Stress, I understand, is the most common cause for this behavior. Given the rare and random nature of my experiences, that would seem to make some sense. Not that I'm terribly concerned, though. Nightshift quirky seems to somehow be expected...given the dayshift variety I'm already rockin'.

So, tell me, Gang, any of you guys Sleeptalkers?

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Boris said...

Husband once said that I sat straight up in bed and said, "pink socks."

I have no freaking idea what that meant.

And, according to him, I never said anything in my sleep ever again.

9/28/2007 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home