The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Newsworthy

Okay, I'm a little miffed. It's okay, you don't have back up like that. I said "a little". Over the past couple days, I've become rather confused about something. Let me try to explain.

news·wor·thy
( P ) Pronunciation Key (nzwûrth,nyz-)

adj. news·wor·thi·er, news·wor·thi·est

Of sufficient interest or importance to the public to warrant reporting in the media.

Have you seen the news today? Wait, let me give you a few of the headlines, I've run across in the last couple days. That should help explain my mood.

Somebody found out that Barry Bonds uses steroids. Wow. Shocking.

Somebody has linked Enron's finance chief to company losses. Uh huh. Who'd of guessed it?

Pat Tillman's dad doesn't believe the U.S. military will come up with any answers regarding the death of his son. Not trusting the military to give you straight answers. Gee.

Here's one NO one could have anticipated. Cheney announces that we won't let Iran have nuclear weapons. Another apt example was Iran's response to Cheney's announcement with one of their own.

And while it's sad, is it really news that Dana Reeve (Christopher Reeve's widow) died yesterday?

or that Cindy Sheehan (and I'm not saying I don't admire the woman) has been arrested again for demonstrating against the war?

Are either of them really newsworthy? Okay, maybe the last two are a little. But, I have a hard time calling any of the above newsworthy. And while I was chatting (actually it was more like ranting a little) about some of this stuff with Highlander this morning, we were watching the local weather forecast. But first, the top stories of the day. And I am not joking when I say this. Apparently, results of a survey have proven irrefutably that teens consume excessive amounts of alcohol and engage in a higher frequency of consensual sex during spring break vacations. OMFG! Did we PAY somebody to do this study? I want to know who thought otherwise. I mean it.

Where is the news about the investigation into Dick Cheney's drunken shooting rampage, amidst statements from the secret servicemen who were on duty that day? Where is the news about the investigation into deliberate lies George Bush told us about the levees in New Orleans that resulted in hundreds of deaths? Weren't both of these hot stories a couple days ago? Has everybody been impeached and I just missed it?? Isn't the point to keep the pressure on so that they have to DO something about it? What I want to know is what the hell has happened to the liberal media?

I want to know who the idiots are in Texas that have voted to make Tom DeLay the republican candidate in his district again, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE MAN WAS INDICTED ON CRIMINAL CHARGES!!! I want them on the 6:00 news explaining themselves.

News should be informative and provocative. It shouldn't be regurgitated axioms. News should make people question things or inspire them to DO things or put them at ease about things. News should never make people go "Are they seriously calling this news?" And for the last few days, that's about all they've gotten from me.


If this stuff really IS news, I want to know to whom. I mean it. I don't feel superior or anything, but I want to know who is being informed here. This move to dumb down the news is really getting on my nerves. What will it be tomorrow?

*Latebreaking story* Dirt is old!

*This Just In* Sex, when between a man and a woman, can result in pregnancy!

*Tune in After the Break* We'll update you on a fascinating study on how oxygen is necessary for human life.

*We Interupt Your Regular Scheduled Programming to bring you up to date on the Ukranian Polka Dancing Finals!*

Sorry for the rant. I just want some damned news for a change.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I want to know who the idiots are in Texas that have voted to make Tom DeLay the republican candidate in his district again"

Oh, didn't you hear? He's innocent.

LOL. JK. I have no idea.

3/08/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Marci, if you voted for Tom DeLay, our romance is over...;) Are they really claiming he's being railroaded in your neck of the woods? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I keep forgetting there are a couple of Texans who stop by here. Funny, I just assume that all you guys think just like me. Isn't that a hoot!

3/08/2006 6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Time-Warner owned by some big-wig politician of the Conservative bent? Maybe the reson we're not getting any news is because none of it meets his approval. Just one more example of why corporations are bad for people; when too many news outlets are owned by the same company, it's leadership gains too much influence on the press.

Ehh, maybe I'm just being paranoid. That or my tendency to always be right about bad news is working yet again...

Example: tonight I checked my wallet for soda money for the vending machine. A fiver, no luck. So, I head out to my car to scrounge for change, and come up with a decent handful, mostly nickels and dimes.

On my way back inside, I idly muse to myself that, 'knowing my luck I'm a nickel short'. So I start plugging change in, and hit $1.45.

Exactly one nickel short of the price of a 20-oz Diet Pepsi. Then I dug in my pockets and found two quarters I somehow overlooked, and beat out Fate.

Nyah nyah nyah, Fate. Missed me!

(Egad! Did I actually just say that?!)

3/09/2006 3:45 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

It could be worse, they could have led with the story about Uma Thurman breakin up with her boyfriend.

3/09/2006 5:08 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Nate -

You're probably more on than I would like to believe. Corporate news. Oh the depths we've sunk to.

Glad you've still got your mojo going, though.

Julia -

You're killing me!! Nobody's talking about South Dakota either. I'm sorry, but the big gear up for the overturn of Roe v. Wade is news in my book. Loved your post, btw!!

3/09/2006 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home