The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Checking the Mail

Guess what I had in the mail today? A letter from my state Senator, that's what!

It would be considerably cooler if it looked something like this...

Dear SuperFiancee:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recently debated stem cell legislation. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feelings with me on this very important issue and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

While this is, in addition to being an historic opportunity to improve the quality of life for billions of people, a highly charged emotional issue, I found your letter compelling. I was moved to put aside my own personal beliefs and vote in accordance with what is in the best interest of ALL of my constituents.

President Bush's veto was disheartening, but not as much as the House of Representatives' failure to overturn it.

As it is clear that the majority of my constituents value the scientific research that is being gained in this area, I find I MUST be the voice of those I have been elected to serve. ALL of those I have been elected to serve.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Harry Lickspittle
U.S. Senator


...instead, only the first and last paragraphs above are from the actual letter. The main body is considerably different. A great lot of moralizing on how stem cell research is profoundly unethical and how he simply can't bring himself to vote for advancements that would expand it.

Ever.

It's just wrong.

For the Bible tells us so.

This fella has been a senator for many, many years. He's moved up well in the party and his seat is quite comfortable.

I will, once again, cast my vote elsewhere when the time comes. Truth be told, I have NEVER voted for him. Could be why my opinions don't carry much weight with him. Certainly, my party affiliation must be 'askew', as far as he is concerned. I suppose the fact that he had one of his lackey's respond to my letter should be all that a democrat has coming to her.

Talking to a wall is tiring sometimes. Doesn't mean I stop doing it. Just means it's tiring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I know how you feel. I once sent a lengthy missive to Evan Bayh regarding his support of an ammendment against flag-burning. I strongly noted my disgust with his assinine pandering to half-wits and pointed out how such an ammendment would be a far greater desecration of said flag. I received a nice response that thanked me for my support of his efforts.

8/29/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Tony Collett said...

And then there's the responses that sound like they came from Charles Durning's politician from Best Little Whorehouse In Texas where you have no idea what's said.
Given the differences in political philosophies between my wife and me, I'm surprised we haven't made a politician's head explode.
I leave you once again with a quote from that well spring of wisdom Bill Hicks "While some places are crying 'revolution, revolution', (we're) crying 'evolution, evolution'. 'We want our thumbs. (Monkey shrieking noises)'"

8/29/2006 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home