The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Draining My Brain

Ever since I started blogging, I find I have all this random stuff floating around in my head. It's always been there. Just that I never really used to pay alot of attention to it before. I mean, I knew it was there. Stuff like, "remember to lay some meat out of the freezer for dinner tonight," or "I forget when that doctor's appointment is and I should call and check on it." Things that kind of swim in and out of my conscious awareness. The not-so-critical cranial clutter. You ignore it while you can, deal with it when you have to, but you can't seem to let go of it completely until you do. Or at least, I can't.

Anyway, now I find that when I want to focus on something, so that I can blog on a specific topic, all this random stuff starts rushing to the front of the line, interfering with my intended purpose. Do you writer types deal with this, or is it just me? Cause if you do, how do you put up with such aggravating non-topical bullshit?

Last night, for instance, I started a post that I'm still hoping to get up here later today. I was upset because I'd just broken my FAVORITE vase (a delicate little thing with hand-etched flowers on it...simply lovely) and Highlander had kicked my butt at three consecutive games of Magic. Now, NONE of that is what I had wanted to write about last night, but I couldn't get around it. It was like this HUGE barricade trapping all of my relevant ideas behind it.

I'd try to focus and then my mind would wander back to when, exactly, I got the vase, various flowers I'd kept in the vase, how I should have played something differently in game two, and so on and so on and so on. ARGH!!!

Finally, I saved what I had written, made a few notes about some points I didn't want to forget, and figured I'd finish it today. Work stuff is slipping in a little, and some tentative plans for this weekend that I need to get finalized, but most of today's mental melange is related to testing of the civil defense sirens. From the sound of it, they are in the parking lot outside my office. Okay, probably not, but they are obviously nearby. They've been testing them for like four hours now. No exaggeration.

With Highlander posting stuff from his favorite woo-woo sites, my focus goes to far weirder places than "What the fuck are they DOING to those things???" I start wondering if we'll ignore them (assuming more testing) when it's the real deal. I mean, it's not as if anyone warned us about this today. And, frankly, I'm only assuming it's testing. Hell, maybe there's some serious shit going down right here in River City, and I'm sitting here blogging.

Again, though, NONE of this has anything to do with the post I want to post. I'd very much like my brain to cooperate. I just don't seem to be able to will it to do so. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Otherwise, well, it's certain to be reflected in the next post you see, and nobody wants that...;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

You are a great writer, you have nothing to worry about.

I personally enjoy our writing much more when you are blogging about "nothing" anyway! So go right ahead! :)

8/31/2006 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home