The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Did Anyone Get The License Plate Number of That Bus?

Whew! Rough few days here in River City, guys and gals! But, hey, here I am upright (mostly) and coherent (partially) and just wanted to throw something up here...uh, let me rephrase that...just wanted to give you guys notice that reports of my death have been largely exaggerated.

Some kind of nasty respiratory infection has had me in it's grips for the last three days now, but I'm definitely on the mend. And, yes, Mike Norton, it's all due to the wonder of my dear friend zithromax. My apologies to those of you who think that we (as a people) or me (individually) overuse antibiotics. I won't deny that I rely heavily on them, but, man, oh man, they do the trick.

Still home today, but, barring something ELSE unforeseen, I should be back to work tomorrow. Luckily, I was pretty well caught up with everything the end of last week. It will be interesting to see what's waiting for me when I get back, though.

I've been watching a great lot of season 1 DEADWOOD on tv while convalescing. Funny how much of it (given the short length of the series) that I'd forgotten. Or, not really forgotten, but moved past and considered insignificant as I did. Richardson was smarter in season 1. I didn't even remember him being there. I didn't remember Con hanging out at the #10. I didn't remember him at all until he showed up at the Bella Union. Oh, well. Could be the fever, too. I don't know.

I had intended to do a little post today reminding everyone to "get their gobblefunk on". As today is the very first ever Roald Dahl Day!

An author who was dear to my heart as a child, Roald Dahl enlisted children in all kinds of terrible situations and gave them the tools to overcome all odds. Sure, that may be a little unrealistic, but he certainly taught me to dream big. And, I can't think of a better gift for a child.

His book, JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, was banned in 1995 from Stafford County, Virginia classrooms because "it teaches children to disobey adults". 1995.

::shaking my head::

I don't suppose it matters that the adults in this story are horrid, hateful women who NEED to be disobeyed. It doesn't appear to matter that teaching children to make decisions for themselves in the face of such a situation is a GOOD thing. No. No. Conformity in all things is the way.

This book and MATILDA and CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY were such a big part of my childhood. If you are a fan, I didn't want you to be left out.

Okay, I'm gonna go lie back down for a while. Feeling a little tired. And while he has noted it on his own blog a couple times, let me state, for the record (and/or for all those doubters out there), that Highlander has been taking the most superb care of me while I'll been ill. I could never ask for someone more supportive and caring. Thanks, Sweetie. You ARE the best!

3 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Go lay down. Feel better. Please. ;)

9/13/2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Nag, nag, nag...er...Yes, Dear...;)

9/13/2006 6:54 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

I don't get on people for using antibiotics in general, I deride them for taking them just until they're feeling better and then stopping. That some run to them when they have something viral - which the antibiotics will do nothing for unless one takes enough to die from them, which does stop the virus in its tracks - isn't a big deal, again, unless the person stops the regimen before it has completely run its course. Sometimes the person might have a secondary infection, some opportunistic bacterial infection, that the antibiotic would help with, but if it's purely viral then one may as well be taking a placebo.

I haven't watched season one of DEADWOOD... since that concentrated blast shortly before season two began airing. We haven't bought them on DVD yet, and at this stage I'm wondering if I shouldn't simply wait until the season three and the two movies are on DVD, as they'll most likely promote it as one, huge boxed set with other, series-encompassing extras. It isn't as if I find the time to watch the DVDs I already have, so I may as well wait.

If I see "sweetie" or "baby" one more time in the next 24 hours I may have to hit the wife's supply of insulin... ;)

9/13/2006 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home