The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Just Checking the Calendar

Life moves pretty fast around here sometimes. Usually, works best if you kinda buckle up and ride it out. Taking notes as you go helps. Ordinarily, there's no time for that, though. You just try to focus your eyes as the blur speeds on past.


Last week, my best work friend (and the only other competent person in my office) was fighting the fight, by my side.

This week, will be her last week, as she's given her notice and is starting a newer, better (of course, it would almost have to be) job.

***

Last week, I was as fertile as the day is long.

This week, I'm barren...and in the words of H.I. McDunnough...my insides are a rocky place, where a seed could find no purchase.

***

Last week, I could bend over and pick up something on the floor without wincing as blinding pain shot through my abdomen.

This week, not so lucky, but we've got something to aim for.

***

Last week, the kids were at their dad's. While I missed them terribly, there was calm and order.

This week, chaos reigns, my house looks like it recently imploded, and I couldn't be happier to have them home!!

***

Last week, my ex was arguing with me about why he is perfectly justifed in refusing to respect his children.

This week, well, more of the same, unfortunately. (Maybe, it has something to do with the fact that there's some Tammy in their genes, I don't know.)

***

Last week, I was schlepping to the laundrymat.

This week, thanks to my sister, I have a new washer and dryer being delivered on Thursday. (Oh, how I've missed having them at home!!)

***

Last week, my middle girl was just some brainy kid (who slacks off way too much) in ninth grade at one of the many schools here in River City.

This week, she came in first place at the city-wide language festival (in French) and will be competing at a state-wide level.

***

Last week, it was spring weather, though the calendar said winter.

This week, it's winter weather, though the calendar says spring.

***

Last week, my kindergartner's missing two front teeth, adorable though she was, made it impossible for her to enjoy her favorite food.

This week, in season or not, it's corn on the cob!!

***

Last week, Highlander was completely head over heels in love with me.

This week, okay, it's still a veritable smit-fest, but I think he's getting over it.

***

Last week, I was fretting about finances. Worrying about all the doctors and lawyers looking for money from me. And wondering where the hell the Indian Chiefs were.

This week, haven't won the lottery, but have a better handle on things and know we will struggle through it, together, the best that we can.

***

Last week, I was a blubbering mess.

This week, I'm on a mission.

***

2 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Looks like evidence to support the Scarlett O'Hara stress management program, "I'll think about that tomorrow."

Not bad advice, when you see how quickly things change.

Try to heal and be healthy.

3/26/2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You quoted H. I. McDunnough!

I love that movie!! I love all Coen Bros. movies!!

In other news, you're deluding yourself. H is terminal for you. Get used to it.

Tell the Super-Kids I said Hi!

3/26/2006 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home