The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Where Are My Rose-Colored Glasses, Mr. Secretary?

A couple days ago, I ran across this article about SIX (count 'em six) retired U.S. army generals calling for Rumsfeld's resignation because of idiotic blunders regarding the Iraq war. My first thought was that it was sheer genius. Why hadn't I thought of asking Rumsfeld to resign? Oh, wait. I did. Think of it, that is.

Yesterday, I even saw a story about how Rummy says he's not considering quitting (even though everyone around him, including Scott McClellan as of 9:40 this morning, seems to be). Funny, I have. Plenty, in fact. And I'd wager that (even barring the six retired generals), I'm not alone.

I keep seeing more and more come out about his utter incompetence. Of course, Dubya is never gonna speak ill of Rummy, or his qualifications, or especially his actions (in the name of the administration) as they relate to Iraq. And, he'll do his level best to help cover up any loose ends for him, too. Because keeping control of Iraqi oil and building four U.S. middle eastern military bases to ensure our continued presence in the region is worth everything he's got Rummy doing. And, he sure as Hell, ain't gonna admit that he was involved in any mistakes regarding Iraq. No sirree! No how. No way.

The Iraqi civil war, I suppose, actually works to their advantage by giving Dubya, Cheney and company all the excuse they need to keep pumping the money and American soldiers into that bottomless pit. And, hey, all this noise about Rumsfeld is taking the heat off of Cheney and Dubya, and their dirty secrets. Plus, as Dick Cheney says, "I believe the natural state of man is war."

Despite, Rumsfeld being specifically implicated in the fiasco at Abu Ghraib, a military judge has barred the defense from calling him at a court martial trial for Sgt. Santos Cardona (who claims Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller directed him, upon receipt of personal dispatch from Rumsfeld, and who continued to take a personal interest in several of the interrogations for which Cardona is on trial.). Geoff Miller is being called, so the whole thing promises to be an entertaining tap dance.

And, once again, as with so many members of this administration, I am feeling more and more like incompetence, malice, and outright deceit are somewhere in the job description. I definitely don't want to watch this carwreck. And I'm getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Somebody at the White House Management Office really should be sending out rose-colored glasses to the rest of us if they are gonna continue this way.

I was looking over Rumsfeld's bio, certain that there would be some flaw that would be completely evident, and that, somehow, all of the reporters (and much smarter bloggers) had missed it, but that it would be the thing that force his resignation, and therefore start the fall of that house of cards. I don't know what I was expecting to see. Maybe that he had worked as a cashier at the Seven eleven instead of serving as a Navy pilot, and therefore had no qualifications, whatsoever, to serve as a U.S. military advisor. Or, that he'd been involved in several friendly fire incidents during his service. Something like that. But there was nothing in the bio. Dammit. I did, however, uncover this interesting story from Rumsfeld's youth that I found quite revealing. Though I doubt it will get the results I was hoping for.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Excellent post, baby. Most analysts I've read think Rummy's days are numbered, it's just that Dubya can't admit it... but he can't have his military in open revolt, either, especially when he's planning to carpet bomb Iran in the near future. So he's going to have to throw them a bone... it's just, when he does, he'll need to make it look like he really had no choice.

4/19/2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I think Jay Leno said it best:

Bush isn't going to fire the only person in his administration who is less popular than he is.

4/19/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

First the advisor, now the press secretary...guess we are returning to ancient Rome and they're killing the messengers...

4/19/2006 11:53 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

H -

Thanks for the hope. I really hope we can all hold on until he does it. As for Iran...what a mess. What a damned mess!!

Julia -

That's a funny line. I hadn't heard it. Thanks for sharing. And, you're right. He doesn't have many choices for that "position".

Opus -

I rather prefer to think of them as the rats on the sinking ship. And you should add the Budget Director to your tally sheet. I can't decide if someone is cleaning house or if something big is getting ready to blow up and everyone wants to divorce himself from it before it happens.

I used to work for a pretty shady contractor who, periodically, would fire everyone in the office (except me...I have no luck in that regard). He once intimated to me that he didn't like having people know so many of his dirty secrets and he did this to minimize what any one person had on him. But I could be drawing an analogy where there's not one.

4/19/2006 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home