The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Funny Thing Happened...

I keep forgetting to share this funny thing with you guys and it's prolly too late now and it'll be all lame. Will that stop me from doing it? Heh. You. Wish.

See, a funny thing happened on the way home from work the other...um...about three weeks ago. I got off the bus (remember when I was all public transportational?) and started to cross the street heading towards home. (For those in the know, the stop is right in front of the yummy pizza place in my neighborhood.)

Anywho, as I said, it was around 6:15 or so and I was crossing the street and this group of people was crossing the street at the same time. There were, I don't know, maybe a dozen assorted aged men and women and they were all in front of me walking up my street.

I didn't think much of it. They seemed to know each other as they were chatting back and forth. I was close enough behind to hear, but I was mostly ignoring them. I just wanted to get home. You know?

There is a big church on that corner and as we were approaching the back side of the church, a couple more people come over to this group (from the other side of the street) and they're all glad-handing and hoo-ha-ing and such. Great. Fine. Move it along. They start going up steps onto the church property and it occurs to me.

They'd mostly come out of the coffee shop on the corner. I'll bet it's a 12-step meeting of some kind. Kinda en masse, as it were. Heh, and I started thinking that they probably thought I was one of them. Weird person that I am, that, for some reason, amused me.

The two women and one man directly in front of me were turned such that they HAD to have had me in their peripheral vision, but they obviously knew each other and blah blah, "did you see", etc., etc. So, just as he's heading up the stairs, the guy turns around and holds out his hand.

He says, "Hi! I'm John. Welcome." I smiled and shook his hand and said, "Hi! I'm some random stranger walking down the street." He laughed a little and apologized (I guess for mistaking me for someone with an addiction...hey, it's not like you can spot 'em that easy) and I told him not to worry about it and kept on walking. I totally kept the goofy giggly thing under control.

Remember how easy it used to be to spot the folks who needed the 12 step programs? Not anymore. They totally look like regular people. Well. Regular people, and, apparently, me.

We'd given each other a little chuckle, John and I. That's never a bad thing. Of course, he could've been too drunk to remember any of it. I don't know.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

No, good story, definitely an amusing anecdote. But I have to say you have DEFINITELY been watching WAY too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

"Public transportational"? "Yummy pizza place"? "Totally kept the goofy giggling thing under control"?

Cut back on the Buffy. Put the remote control down, and step away from the tube.

8/17/2006 5:06 AM  
Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Yo, dude --

Back up off my Slayer.

Don't make me get ugly.

8/17/2006 9:30 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Heh...if that group was a 12 Step Program for Buffy Addicts, I might have missed a golden opportunity.

8/17/2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

There is no such thing, as too much Buffy...

8/17/2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Right on, Em!!

I guess now that you've got that new house you're not gonna be moving into the apartment across the hall. We could be eating leftover stirfry and watching Buffy. Right. Now.

8/17/2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Haha! I wish!

An ex flat-mate of mine had the ENTIRE series on DVD.
Both a good thing and a bad thing. We would have "Slayerfests" almost every Sunday.

I would have Buffy overload and dream about Spike.
Also a good thing and a bad thing!

8/17/2006 11:50 PM  
Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Augh.

I must point out, there is such a thing as too much BUFFY, and that concept can be more concisely summarized as "Seasons 6 and 7".

She was better off dead at the end of Season 5, and so were we.

Up through most of Season 5, though, the show is pretty solid... not without problems, as I've gone into at great length in my Slayer's Handbook articles over at Martian Vision... but still... pretty solid. And certainly, the dialogue was always one of its strengths.

8/18/2006 6:02 AM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Ah, I still liked more than enough from seasons 6 & 7 for me to be happy it didn't end with season 5.

Looking over seasons 6 and 7 I find that I still think fondly of most of the episodes once season 6 got rolling. Sure, there were some unfair cliffhanger elements and some lack of thought going on left and right among the characters especially in the facing of The First in season seven, and no one liked the Doublemeat Palace -- even Joss called that a mistake -- but if I could swallow the sheer idiocy of Angel being unable to perform CPR on Buffy from season one, and the comic book threat of Adam superimposed on the irritating Professor Walsh and the hut-hut-hut of The Initiative, then I can take some of the slips in later episodes.

Had the series ended with season 5 I'd have felt cheated in more ways than one -- the Buffy = Dawn for purposes of a sacrifice gambit still strikes me as unsatisfyingly weak, for instance.

By contrast, season 7 ended with Sunnydale as closed as it could get without setting off a nuke, and leaving her with a world that was still interesting but in which she was largely free to move on. It felt finished and I was comfortable (note: neither ecstatic nor relieved, merely comfortable) with it being over. It was an ending I was happy with.

All that's beside the point, though, as I, too, very much enjoyed the fun and snappy patter that was such a part of the show from pretty much from start to finish.

8/18/2006 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home