The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Monday, August 07, 2006

What's Your Name, Little Girl, What's Your Name?

Highlander and I were talking, last week, about various co-workers whom we had known over the years. It was, the most casual of conversations. During the course of said conversation, Highlander mentioned a co-worker by (rather unusual) name. In all honestly, I don't remember the name. But, I do remember that it reminded me of one of the many temp receptionists we've had around my office. Her name was 'Precious'. Now, that was not a nickname. That was the child's given name.

Our conversation didn't take the tangent I'm getting ready to take, but it easily could have. You see, I have a 'thing' about kreativ names. Oh, I'm all about creativity and imagination. I think being an individual is kick ass. But all of those things are things you do for (and to) yourself. Naming a child is something you do to someone else. And you do it to them for a lifetime. It's different.

I'm not looking for converts, here. You see, I'm perfectly capable of ranting into the wind at will. Instead, I'm pulling out my virtual soapbox and dusting if off. Run now, while my back is turned. It's likely your only chance.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I can't take someone named 'Precious' seriously. When I'd take her something to mail, I had difficulty saying, "Can you mail this package for me, Precious?". Now I didn't mock her, because I pitied her. Here was this young woman who had had to deal with this situation day in and day out for all of her life. And she had a great deal more life to go. I just found it sad.

Growing up, I remember wanting to change my name. Wanting, for a while, to go by my middle name instead of my first name. Wanting a cooler name than the one my parent's saddled me with. (Hell, I was named after a bad Debbie Reynolds movie. Whaddaya want from me?) I knew other girls who felt similarly at the time. (Not my sister, though, her middle name was 'Gay'.)

My own children (named after various family members) have names that could never be considered cutting edge or provocative. My middle daughter who, ironically, shares my middle name, went through a similar stage where she considered going by her middle name, as well. I think she's pretty well beyond it now.

Historical names, foreign names, familial names, those I understand and appreciate. Celebrities naming their children after food or places or whatever whim strikes them (though never hard enough to render them unconscious so that someone else can fill out the birth certificate), well, I chalk that up to them being celebrities and I feel badly for their children.

About seven years ago, I joined my first on-line community. Babynames.com was a message board community run by the Moss sisters. Likely, it still is. I haven't been there in a very long time. I hung around in the earlier days when the community was a group of about 30-40 'regulars' and we talked about names. Names we liked. Names we didn't. The history of names. The associations of names. The teasing potential of names. It was a great deal of fun. I was pregnant with [Kid 3] and trying to figure out a name for her. About a year after she was born, I wasn't visiting the site as much.

It had grown and changed and more and more members were going with the more and more trendy names that don't do as much for me. Obviously, I'd outgrown my usefulness there. So, I moved on. No regrets. In fact, I have one of their cool tee shirts and lots of fond memories of those folks. Oh, my, though, the names I saw around that place.

A memorable one that stands out in my mind was Myquella. I remember the first time I saw it and thought, I have no idea what that is. It's a unique spelling of the name Mikayla. And it's one of those names that is setting some little girl up for a lifetime of having to correct spelling and pronunciation on a daily basis. Personally, I couldn't do that to a child I loved.

No more than I could name a child 'Vendetta'. And, yes, I know a girl with that very name. She is married to one of my first cousins. What kind of people would think that's a good name, completely putting aside anything like looking for an empowering name?

My dad used to work with a man whose name was 'Ordinary'. Worse, his last name was 'Green'. That's more than irresponsible. It's mean.

A pretty famous homicide here in River City happened some five years ago, was perpetrated by a man named Tiffany Dominique Pennington. Tell me that man had a chance in this world? You know he had to be a fighter from kindergarten on. Anyone with a name like that would be destined for a life of crime. Or possibly a sex-change.

I don't insist that a "name" makes someone who they are. That part comes from a great many things. But a name is the first thing that many people know about you. It marks you, indelibly, from birth. It follows you everywhere you go for the rest of your life. It's not something that should be applied blithely.

So, people, if you're expecting now or plan to be in the future, I implore you, PLEASE, give this a great deal of consideration. Do not handicap your child by saddling him/her with some cutesy, funny, oddly spelled, play on words kinda name. Give your child a name that will minimize their dysfunction and give them character. I hope you won't confuse this by thinking that I am all about picking the top 20 names for boys and girls. I, myself, find a great many names interesting and endearing. I happen to think that you can still find something unusual without going to extremes.

All I'm saying is that I don't want to be at the counter of Bob's Burger Barn, trying to read a name tag that says "Urethra" or being held up by some woman named "Herbert" who is righteously pissed at the world. Save the funny stuff for your goldfish. 'K?

12 Comments:

Blogger Fastread information said...

Hi, Enjoy the article, I'm Manisha, I really want to say sincerely that this is amazing content that you have shared. thanks for this. it's really very helpful for me.

Live Current Affairs
Live Sarkari Naukri
How to get a Government Job easily
Facebook Video Download Online
Sarkari Yojana - PM Modi Yojana

9/08/2020 7:16 AM  
Blogger etechnocraft said...

Usually, I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up.
Wordpress Developer
Custom Wordpress Design
Hire WordPress Expert India
Hire Wordpress Programmers

5/04/2021 6:48 AM  
Blogger Pak Cheers said...

https://pakcheers.com
Pakistan’s most authentic and largest online event management data bank Pak Cheers, has already made its mark all over the digital sphere. To let Pakistan’s number 1 web portal for managing events and occasions to take care of you and your auspicious occasions are going to be the best decision you make. We aim for excellence and customer gratification. Each event that matters to you, matters to us. We believe in making every single moment, a special one for you!

10/15/2021 6:37 AM  
Blogger Toney Wix said...

I have not checked in here for a while because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I?¦ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

Car Accessories

10/28/2021 4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

theoralreport.blogspot.com/2006/08/whats-your-name-little-girl-whats-your.html?m=0

10/29/2021 4:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
Top rated removal companies in Bootle
Top rated removal companies in Bootle

11/02/2021 7:30 AM  
Blogger Toney Wix said...


Whats up! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the great info you’ve right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your weblog for more soon.


december global holidays

11/10/2021 7:05 AM  
Anonymous imran khan said...

Excellent article. I'm sure the post will be good, and I'm astonished you wrote it, man! Excellent work, and please keep it up! I couldn't agree more, and I've saved this to Pocket as well! Keep it up, dude.

12/13/2021 4:08 AM  
Blogger Toney Wix said...

I think this is among the most important information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The site style is great, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers


malayalam quotes
love quotes malayalam
sad quotes malayalam
motivational quotes in malayalam
friendship quotes malayalam

4/09/2022 4:42 PM  
Blogger Toney Wix said...

This web site definitely has all the information I needed about this
subject and didn’t know who to ask.

Car Accessories
Volkswagen Polo Accessories
Toyota Yaris Accessories
Toyota Innova Accessories
Toyota Fortuner Accessories
Toyota Corolla Accessories

5/18/2022 6:58 AM  
Blogger Toney Wix said...

Everything is very open with a really clear description of
the issues. It was definitely informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
Many thanks for sharing!

Car Accessories
Volkswagen Polo Accessories
Toyota Yaris Accessories
Toyota Innova Accessories
Toyota Fortuner Accessories
Toyota Corolla Accessories

5/18/2022 7:01 AM  
Blogger Sarah J. said...

I enjoyed reading your blog post about coming up in front of the class and how it's fun. I feel like I should be doing this too! Search Engine Optimization

12/21/2022 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home