The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Curling Up

With the cooler temps bearing down on most of us (YGF is finally getting the warm stuff down there), I thought it might be appropriate to pull out this book meme that I threw together some time back.

For those who want to play along, copy the questions onto your own blog and share your own book secrets. Or not. I'm not the library gestapo or anything.

1. One book that changed your life?

Endgame, by D.A. Madigan. Reading that book, got me to read more of his work and to forge a friendship (and eventually more) with the author. Really has changed my life. There are other books that have made lasting and unique impressions on me, but as for changing my life, that one gets the prize.

2. One book you have read more than once?

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis. Recently enjoyed reading it, yet again, to my youngest daughter.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

Heh…I keep thinking of the one book everyone else would want. My oldest would likely choose Anne Rice’s Interview with a Vampire. Highlander, I believe, would choose Roger Zelazny’s Lord of Light. If I’m choosing for me, though, I’m thinking something by Stephen King. Likely, The Stand. Or possibly, Different Seasons.

4. One book you wish had written?

Not really a writer, so this one was difficult for me. Ironically, I think it’s Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone. First, J.K. Rowling really turned her life around writing this story. Second, she seemed to have fun doing it.


5. One book you wish had never been written?

Also Stephen King. Wishing he’d stopped before he started on The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. The only Stephen King book I’ve ever put down without finishing.

6. One book you have been meaning to read, but just never have?

LOTS of choices here. Barbara Hambly’s A Free Man of Color (and all the sequels in the series), John Varley’s Titan, Robert A. Heinlein’s I Will Fear No Evil, Roger Zelazny’s Chronicles of Amber, and so on and so on and so on. Lucky for me, all of these (and more) are patiently waiting on shelves in my home. Someday, when I have a little time for me, I’ll get to them. Maybe I should start here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Evil Genius said...

fyi had to go a little undercover so my new blog address is spyder-girl.blogspot.com

These are hard questions to answer because there are soooo many good books !

11/14/2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

As with so many other things about you, your timing is impeccable.

I was just casting about for ideas for a blog entry...

Looks like I got a bite.

11/14/2006 6:19 PM  
Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

It's snowing here!!!!!!!!!!

2 weeks before the official first day of summer and it's fucking snowing!!!

Christ on a bike!

I'm obsessed with crime novels - fiction or non-fiction.
I can't help it. I'm twisted.

Reading a great one at the moment about how almost the entire Australian policeforce suffers from post trumatic stress disorder and the gory reasons why. Well, wouldn't you?!?!

xx

11/14/2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Uh... well, when you put it that way, I see ENDGAME entirely changed my life for the better, too. Gee. Never looked at it that way before. I guess even if I never actually sell anything I write to any publisher, I'm still well ahead of the game. WELL ahead.

One book on a desert island? If I'm on a desert island alone I'm going to be pretty suicidally depressed. But I suppose if I could pick one book... I don't know. Something hugely voluminous, like Colin Wilson's A CRIMINAL HISTORY OF MANKIND. Or, maybe the next installment in the Westeros series by George R.R. Martin. In fact, if I could get all of those, I could just keep rereading them forever.

A book I wish I'd written? Well, I'd be pretty fucking pleased with myself if I'd written LORD OF LIGHT, I guess...

A book I wish had never been written? It would be an interesting world if Marx had never gotten around to writing his Manifesto. But I can't say it would be better. Can I just delete Rush Limbaugh in his entirety?

One book I've been meaning to read? That would be DANCES WITH DRAGONS by George R.R. Martin. The fucker is NEVER going to get there.

11/15/2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

Boy, this is hard. The books I've loved are like my children.

The book that changed my life was Anne LaMott's "Bird By Bird." She convinced me that I could just, simply, write. And I didn't need a degree in English or to have studied with famous authors, I just needed to write. I'd been writing before I read it, but wrote with greater gusto and confidence after she came into my life.

The book I've read more than once...Lolita. Nabokov floors me. That he could create this compelling pedophile, and make me sympathetic toward him? Amazing.

There is no way I could bring only one book on a desert island. I'd need Garp, of course. And "The Accidental Tourist."

One book I wish I had written: Anything by Joyce Carol Oates.

And...the most awful contribution to the universe would have to be "Bridges of Madison County." The person who allowed this to be published should be shot. Twice.

11/17/2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Contrary to the popular wisdom (two in the head, you know they're dead) endorsed by Charlie, the father of the father-son hitman team portrayed by Morgan Freeman and Chris Rock in 'Nurse Betty', industry standard for eliminations is one in the heart, one in the head.

So yeah, shoot the fucker twice indeed.

11/17/2006 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home