The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Random Encounters

I feel the need.

The need to blog.

Alas, it's mostly about feeling the need. What I mean is that the wisdom, the wit, the poignancy...they all seem to be elsewhere at the moment. Not to be slowed by the absence of talent or content on this blog, I've opted to share a few (more) trivalities from my life.

This morning, I had a conversation with my favorite conservative architect at work. He asked me if I'd been to vote yet. (Honestly, I think he was pulling my chain because he knows we look at politics from completely different angles.) I affirmed, adding, jokingly, that somebody had to go counter HIS vote. Then he got this look (and I don't think it had anything to do with coffee withdrawal, either) and said "You DID vote for [our republican incumbent congresswoman], didn't you??? When I said "Nope", he said "ARE YOU SERIOUS??? DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE'S DONE FOR OUR COMMUNITY??"

I'm sure his respect for me took another big hit, and I really HATE not helpin' out a sistah, but that's the way that stuff goes sometimes. It's not just about our little burg (even though our little burg is an above-average sized burg), it's about regaining some checks and balances and getting a leash and collar (preferably one with a shock attachment) around the ones we can't get rid of this time.

Besides, the guy running against the incumbant was born and raised here, is a businessman with strong leanings in education, journalism and the arts. I don't think it's a bad trade. I just hope it works out.

*****

Soooooo, because it's Election Day across the land, the kiddies are out of school (a number of local schools double as polling places and I suppose safety is an issue). I had a work errand to run and decided to take care of it around lunchtime and run by the house as well.

The loungification was more than a little enticing (not helped by the drizzle outside), but I played a couple games of Magic cards with my eldest, snuggled the baby and chatted up the middle kid (who advised me I was not just her mom...I was her best friend...hmmmm, and only a month 'til her birthday...;) before heading back to the office.

But not before getting my teenagers in a giggle fit that had them both drooling AND gave them both hiccups. I was completely victorious (YAY for me!), escaping before any such fate could befall me (YAY for me, again!). Probably best for all, because, tragically, I sound like a barking seal when I have the hiccups. Trust me, it ain't a pretty thing.

On an unrelated note, I will say that I was very pleased to see all the pedestrian and vehicular traffic on the corner (where our local polling station is located), and think that the turn-out was looking good.

*****

Bebopping on back to work after lunch, and I was notified by my boss that he has a new granddaughter. (The architect mentioned above announced the birth of his first granddaughter...he has two grandsons...yesterday.) Said news was kind of bittersweet for said boss, as his son (and daughter-in-law and four year old grandson) left for the Congo last spring to teach. The Congolese embassy advised everyone to get out of the country (due to more infighting) a few weeks ago and the little family evacuated to Europe. The baby was born at a hospital in a small French town overlooking a lake and the Alps (quite a different view than she could have had).

My boss is quite relieved (as I would be) that his grandchildren are out of the war-torn African Congo, but is desperately missing them and now that he has a new granddaughter, he's sad not to be able to see and hold her.

I hate even trying to imagine it.

*****

Working on the first charitable project of the season. My mom and dad's church is participating in a program to make Christmas stockings to send to prison. (So many jokes, so little time.) Anyway, they are sewing/decorating the stockings and sending them to be filled elsewhere, and then they can be given out to inmates' kids when they visit at Christmastime. Those are definitely some kids that can use a little extra holiday love and I'm happy to lend my talents to sending them some.

I'm not so much the seamstress, but I can get my Martha on, when it comes to decorating these puppies. Consequently, my girls (never enough opportunities to show kids the importance of community service and helping your fellow man...especially this time of year) and I are going to be kicking off the Christmas season by making stockings to send to prison, this Saturday. Not sure how many we'll get done, but at least a few kids will benefit from the effort.

Only a couple weeks until I go to the Post Office to select this year's Santa letter. And, honestly, I can hardly wait!!

*****

Don't forget to vote today! If you haven't already, I mean. Like Opus says, no matter which way you're bent politically, embrace the opportunity for what it is. So many people have not even the illusion of a voice in their government.

5 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Ooh, Santa letter. Let's hope we get cooler people this year than last.

I'm glad you had a good day, sweetie. See you soon.

I love you!

11/07/2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger FindingHeart said...

I love it how the people in the best country in the world, the place where freedom rings, is full of people who think if you don't believe the way they do that you are stupid or dumb. It's one thing to be allowed to disagree, but to TRY to yell at someone because they have a diferent opinion defeats our union. *sigh* Democracy is so hard for people to understand.

11/07/2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

H -

They'd almost HAVE to be...wouldn't they?
(You should have been around for the family the year before!)

FH -

He wasn't so much yelling at me, as expounding his incredulity fairly loudly. He really couldn't believe that I had voted against someone who'd voted with the president 96% of the time. Honestly, it wasn't difficult at all...;)

11/07/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

They really need to put "Sniper Fire" on the ballot...

11/07/2006 9:38 PM  
Blogger Tony Collett said...

Funny story...I was at my parents' house earlier because they got high speed and I'm still on dial up. I pulled up Yahoo's map to check on how the Senate/House/Governor races were going, and my mom asked me to check on [your Republican incumbent congresswoman], and was surprised to find she was Republican (given that with one exception our family is Democrat). So when I reported she was losing so far in the race (48% to 51% as of 9:24pm EST) she was glad. Then I read your blog entry. How serendipitous.

11/07/2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home