The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Flashback Friday!

This week, you get a YouTube Flashback Friday!

Welcome to my youth. For reasons that will become abundantly apparent to you, it's not a place to be revisited without proper safety precautions. Pregnant women and small children should not proceed. You have to be THIS tall to ride the ride. THE ORAL REPORT takes no responsibility for anyone who becomes brain-damaged as a result of the content of this (hell, or any other) post on this blog. Still in? Click the thingy. But be careful...

When I was young, the world was a different place. Part of that was that I was in Rochester, New York (at least part of the time), part of it was that it WAS a different place. I used to get so tired of hearing older people saying that to me. It's kinda the undisputable truth, though.

For the purposes of this post, however, You Tube is helping me out.

Television commercials back in the day looked alot like this...



(Good luck getting that little ditty out of your head today!)

and this...



(Can anyone imagine a commercial so un-p.c. now???)

In between the commercials on our three channels, there was some of this...



and this...



And, Great Hera help us, the music looked/sounded like this...



and this...



Perhaps leaving permanent marks on my generation, these are just some of the reasons why we would choose NOT to go back. The damage is deep indeed. And while I hated putting all of you at risk, it needed to be done. Those of you who lived through it the first time, should either grab a bottle or put your head between your knees (not both, though...that's dangerous!). Didn't mean to trigger your PTS.

I should note that despite all of the above history, I still reserve (and frequently exercise) the right to complain about hip hop music, The Flavor of Love, and local tv ads for an ambulance chaser who touts himself as “The Hammer"...among other things. 'Cause they're really bad, too, and somebody needs to warn the others.

Now off with you. Have a fun weekend everybody!!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike Norton said...

Fun flashbacks with a few winces. Land of the Lost, which I can happily say I didn't watch, and "Seasons In the Sun" which we all heard far, far too many times coming out of radios some well-buried summer.

I'll quickly note that one series of commercials that immediately reminded me of the Hai Karate ones are those for Axe body spray which have been all over the place at least up here for the past couple years. So, some things live on.

11/10/2006 10:03 AM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

Wish I didn't have %$^$%%# dial-up so I could see your cool YouTube stuff.

Feh!

11/11/2006 11:37 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Ouch. Sid & Marty Croft... weren't they finally indicted on crimes against humanity charges? I could have sworn they were indicted...

Great, my eye is twitching again...

11/13/2006 12:59 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Hey, I warned you people.

Opus, you may want to consider yourself lucky on this one...;)

AaA, [Kid 3] has an HR Pufnstuf video tape (my Dad found it at a yardsale) and she plays it pretty much nonstop. Be glad it's just your eye twitching.

Mike, Not familiar with the ads for Axe (though I have heard of the product). As for "Seasons in the Sun", it was amusing to hear Highlander's reaction...;)

11/14/2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

"Warning: if you mess with the king's queens, you'd better watch your ace, Jack!"

Axe body spray commercials are fekkin' high-la-re-us.

11/17/2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home