The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Happy Pearl Harbor Day!

and other things...

Today, boys and girls, my middle darling daughter turned sixteen. I'm not sure how this happened, as the photographic evidence below will show you that she was a mere baby just yesterday.

Tomorrow, you can read the story of how she came into the world in this week's Flashback Friday!

In the meantime, I've included some of my favorite pics of her over the years. While she looks far more like her father than me (I've long since forgiven her for this), she (at least as a child) had my curly hair, shares my love for cooking, is tender-hearted, geeky to a fault, and has a very quirky sense of humor. Also, it's nearly impossible to avoid adoring her.

I'll let you in on a secret, Highlander and I got her a Russian tortoise (with the appropriate set-up) for her gift (it's actually a big part of her Christmas gift, too). We gave it to her last night and she was soooooo excited. She's been wanting one for a long time.

I whipped her up a white chocolate cheesecake for a birthday cake. Unconventional, I know. But, hey, we're talking about my daughter here. Could she BE anything else?

And we started off today with one of the local radio dj's passing along a birthday greeting ("My daughter turns 16 tomorrow (December 7th) and I'd love for her to know how thrilled I am to have had the priviledge of sharing sixteen years with her.") that I'd emailed the radio station.

Later tonight, she'll be serenaded, as we are attending [Kid 1]'s winter concert. All in all, it should be a pretty good day.

Anyway, here's what my girl looked like, a very short time ago.







Woo Hoo! Bring on the Presents!!














Of COURSE I'm always this adorable!

















See, I told you!


















Mike Tyson ain't so tough!















Lynndie England TOTALLY stole MY hand jive and used it for evil! She must be destroyed!












My biker 'handle' is Godiva. And, no, I will NOT show you my tattoo.









As a child, they called me 'The Sniper'. I'd hide in trees and pick off the neighborhood kids as they rode their bikes past my house.

Heh. Those were the days.









When admonished by her grandma that she "might be eating too much candy from the birthday pinata", [Kid 2] (channeling Linda Blair in THE EXORCIST) responded with a growling "Leave me alone."

(True story. No embellishment needed.)







Pull what cat's tail? I didn't do it. I swear.















You should see how they dress me when there's more than a dusting of snow out here. It's humiliating.







I gave my love a cher-ry, that had no stone. I gave my love a chic-ken that had no bone.

Wait a minute! Is that John Belushi? And is he wearing a bedsheet??








This looked alot less messy in LADY AND THE TRAMP. Maybe having a partner makes more of a difference than I thought.













Pull what cat's tail? I didn't do it. I swear.















I don't get it. You jump. That's it?

And you paid 'how much' for this thing, again?










I'm riding out to check on the hands, Ma.

If you don't keep a damn close eye on 'em, they'll go all 'Brokeback Mountain' on ya.








Ay yi yi yi, I am the Frito Bandito...















For this yoga move, you bring your foot aaallllll the way to your mouth. Like this. C'mon, ladies, you can do it.







[Kid 2] are those chipmunks in your cheeks, or are you doing your Dizzy Gillespie impression again?








Pull what cat's tail? I didn't do it. I swear.




Cool!! This whole house is one big, oddly-shaped Van de Graaff generator!!











Don't be hatin' on my Donald Duck slippers. I'm working the whole ensemble and you know it.














Yes, someday, all of this will be mine. Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha!















Then, after giving this really great speech, Howard Dean did this.










Yes, I'm completely, blindly in love with my kids. (That's not an apology.) However, it should be noted that [Kid 2]'s approval was obtained on photo choices and captions prior to the publication of this blog post.

6 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Darling pics. I often wonder how kids grow so fast, when I never feel any older.

12/07/2006 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't get over how much she and Amy look alike--great pics!!!! Happy Birthday to our girl!
Grandma-to-be

12/07/2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger Tony Collett said...

Yeah, I was gonna say...
Can't wait to show Kathy the pictures.
Tell her happy birthday from both of us.

12/07/2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Julia -

I've missed you! Thanks for stopping by! I totally agree about the time shift. So many vivid memories that FEEL like yesterday, but, alas, they are not.

Carmazer -

I've extended your well-wishes and have forwarded your e-card.

As for the physical similarities between the younger two of my daughters, it's pretty significant. Not as obvious with the age difference, but the first time I saw my youngest, she earned one of her plethora of nicknames...Mini Me. You can hold photos up and it's extremely difficult to tell them apart.

Tony -

Like a First Class Dunderhead, I've totally forgotten that your lovely wife shares a birthday with [Kid 2]! D'Oh!!

Please extend our birthday wishes to her, and I hope you guys have a most excellent celebration!

12/07/2006 1:37 PM  
Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Very very sweet. I hope she had a great birthday, 16 is such a biggy!

xx

12/07/2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

And I am only learning of this now...

I totally could have done something for her for a sweet sixteen, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Fine.

(Although I feel it is necessary to point out that your reference to Animal House was very well-received up here.)

12/07/2006 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home