The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Speaking of...

It's been a while since I've shared any work snippets, but, as always, my life takes me in interesting directions here at Rupert and McElroy.

I've been working with the two owners of the company alot recently, specifically on some marketing projects. One of the owners asked me to contact one of our engineering consultants for a clarification on some site dimensions. So, I contacted the engineering company and got the information.

Or so I thought.

I talked to the owner, forwarded him an email (from the civil engineer) that had a link to a website that would, presumably, provide the information he needed, and marked it off my "list".

Unfortunately, the owner had checked the link and determined that the information was not in a format he could use. So, he asked me to call the engineer again and get some clarifications to the clarifications.

When I did, the engineer sent me back to the same website and gave me some instructions on how to get the specific information needed by my boss. Now, by this point I was inching up on the "Why don't you call the engineer yourself" platform, but hadn't quite gotten there yet.

After relaying the second conversation to my boss, he still didn't seem to be able to make sense of it. He just couldn't get the information from the website that he wanted. I didn't sigh or roll my eyes, but I asked him if he wanted me to call the engineer back again. When he hit me with, "Maybe...I should probably call him back myself."

To which, I replied, "Oooooh, that idea makes me all tingly!" Because, hey, gotta keep the smartass rep in tact, you know.

=======================================

Yesterday, my other boss (who has far less of a sense of humor than the previously noted one) and one of our project managers were working together at a table near my desk. They were trying to unroll a set of blueprints that had been rolled tightly for years and getting them uncurled was proving difficult. The mission was to incorporate them into another set of drawings, but they had metal yardsticks and books and all kinds of "aids" and still were climbing over each other to do it.

It looked like architect's Twister. Left hand structural, right foot mechanical. After going on like that for about ten minutes, I peered out from behind my computer monitor and said, "Where's Curly? He was always my favorite one!"

The project manager laughed uproariously. The owner just shot me a sideways glance, turned to the project manager, and said, "Remember those things called 'paychecks' we used to have around here?"

Harumph.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am laughing right now.

Giggling too.

In fact, I'm pretty sure at one point I chortled. I'm not sure, but I think so.

1/04/2007 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home