The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Word To All My Peeps

The other day, my significant other, took the opportunity to show some rightly deserved appreciation to a few people in his world. It seems a natural response to the generosity of spirit usually associated with this particular season. Without "borrowing" an idea from him, I'd like to do the same.

First, I'd very much like to thank Highlander. This past year has been just a myriad of landmines. That you continue to navigate through them, and more, that you continue to help me and the girls do the same, means a great deal to me. That our happiness and well-being continue to be paramount to you is a gift I never thought I'd see in my life. Never. But you show me the impossible on a regular basis. That you put up not only with me (even in full Martha mode) is one thing, but that you put up with the consequences of my life (my ex and his orbitals) on a far too regular basis and still feel that you've made the right decision to stand by me, is something for which my expressions of gratitude will inevitably come up short. But you should know that without you, we would all be far worse off, and we all appreciate the impact you've made on our lives.

Next, while it's unlikely they'll see it (but they do check in here from time to time), I'd like to thank my daughters. All three of them are the lights of my life. I can't imagine my life without any one of them in it. And I'm grateful for each and every day I have with them. More than loving them deeply (and I do), I like them. They are good people with big hearts and quirky senses of humor, and I enjoy them and am proud of them. But I thank them, too. I thank them for supporting me in decisions I have made that have greatly impacted their lives. I thank them for always reinforcing that it was a right decision and that we are all better for it. I thank them for making me happy and helping me through so many difficult things.

I'd like to thank my lawyer for making this year end on a better note than it began on. The beginning of this year was filled to brimming with problems between my daughters and their father. Those have been, thankfully, minimized dramatically. And though it cost me about $3,000, as Highlander continually reminds me, it was money well spent because it has made the girls happier and healthier. So, for that, I deeply appreciate the efforts of my lawyer.

I'd like to thank Nate Clark for many things, including coming to visit Highlander and I in River City last spring. For letting me beat him at Scrabble, too...and for giving us the opportunity to share some of what we've found together in this most unlikely of places to end up. For the support and friendship you've shared and for making me giggle every time I see (or think about) Tang. Thanks, Nate.

The Colletts and Gibsons (check both blogs)were tricked into wandering south a little later in the year and made for a fun visit during the summer (with a repeat for the Colletts at birthday time). Thanks to all of you for your friendship and support, for making me laugh and for letting me know that there are good people out there who understand what is important in life.

A mondo thank you to Democrats everywhere for taking the first steps to deliver this country from the hands of the lunatics. It was a gift I'd nearly given up hope for.

Thanks to the powers that be for allowing me to leave 'Hell' and get back to the business of doing my job...however irritating that part can be. It was a most excrutiating chapter and I am very grateful to have it behind me.

I owe at least a million thanks to Mike Norton for listening to me bitch and moan about so many things for a solid year (heh...like it's been any different than any of the previous ones, huh?). The advice and support have been an invaluable gift that I would never want you to believe was taken for granted. The knives (you sent me for Christmas) were pretty spiffy too!

Thanks to Highlander's family who has embraced me and accepted me as if I'd always been there. You have each made my life better for having known you.

I need to thank Opus P. Penguin. For doing your part to help Highlander become the Highlander he is today (not a small task for anyone), but also for always being supportive to me, and being a good friend to us both.

Your Girl Friday (and Marci, vanished but not forgotten), L.C. , and Julia are all new friends in 2006 and I've deeply enjoyed getting to know them and have relied on them during some of my darkest moments. Thanks to you all, ladies! You're all welcome at my house whenever you come through River City.

I'm sure I've likely forgotten some folks. My apologies. But, let me just say, many, many thanks to you all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, as I recall, you kicked my ass fair and square. By like, 3 whole points or so...

...maybe it was five.

(Or, you know, maybe I couldn't dump the friggin' Q and lost by 10pts...)

Either way, you're more than welcome as the flowers in May.

12/28/2006 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home