The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Abjectly Conjecturing

I'm impersonating Mark Gibson today. Yeah, I'm lousy at it (locked bathrooms got nothin' on me) and frogs kinda freak me out, but you'll just have to deal...for a little while, anyway.

Heard about an obit today and instead of routing them his way like I usually do (he IS the purveyor of such things after all), I decided to do a little something myself.

Tige Andrews died of cardiac arrest on January 27th. (Does it strike anyone else as odd that the announcement follows his death by like a week? 'Cause honestly, my first thought was that they hadn't found him for a week, which is all ookie and stuff.)

Anyway, not a huge fan of the actor, but MOD SQUAD was a childhood favorite and just like Peggy Lipton and Clarence Williams III and Michael Cole, Tige Andrews is a part of those memories. Like most actors, I imagine he got incredibly wearied at being associated with one show and one show only, but I can't help it. This is how I remember him...

6 Comments:

Blogger Tony Collett said...

Sometimes you get a celebrity obituary that late. Sometimes it's when the paper or website fits it in, but usually it's because of a delay in announcing.
And Andrews did play a Klingon in the original Star Trek, so I imagine he got some recognition for that.

2/06/2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

That's where I've seen him before!!

Thanks Tony!!

I knew I'd seen him somewhere...

Now, this 'Mod Squad' thing? What was this, a movie or something?

2/06/2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks for shouldering the load. It is tuff being the obitch of the internet. Sometimes, other things keep me busy...like locked room mysteries.

Besides, his name drew a blank until I watched your clip... I'm getting too old for this shit.

2/08/2007 9:05 AM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Nate, it was a weekly tv series that's sort of... Charlie's Teens. Three (nominal) teenagers, each of whom had had a minor run-in with the law, who ended up being deputized by a police captain as a sort of youth undercover squad. They would infiltrate groups with the ultimate intent of taking down the inevitable adult criminals who preyed on their fellow teens.

Intended to be very hip and tying into elements of the flower children generation, the show ran from 1968 until '73, it was too tied to a specific era to survive the cultural changes -- and probably the effects of age on the believability of the actors in those roles, considering that they were each well into their 20s by the time the show began.

It's one of those moderately fond childhood memories that hasn't been tested as an adult, as I don't believe I've come across an episode of it in syndication in at least 25 years. I doubt the "hip" language holds up with a straight face, but it was a successful show.

The show's opening is fairly confusing, though, isn't it?

2/08/2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Tony -

Yeah, but sometimes the celebrity is so over that no one has noticed him missing for a week. I'd forgotten about his guest appearance on Star Trek, but certainly remember seeing it now! Likely the Trekkies had him on some kind of "watch list", huh?


Nate -

I'm gonna assume you're teasing, but, like Mike, I doubt the series would stand the test of time well. There were a few other clips on You Tube (episode clips), if you dare. Me? I'll be avoiding that particular heartbreak, thank you very much.

Mark -

All Hail the Obitch! (We love you for it, though!)

Mikey -

I hear you BIG TIME on fearing a re-watch. Dragnet suffers badly from the same disease. Thanks for the synopsis, though, and I hope it saves someone from actually watching...;)

2/08/2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Uh, four years old when it was cancelled. You say you've never seen it in syndication.

Do the math.

2/09/2007 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home