The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Out, Out, Damned Spot?

I'm sure this isn't the last time that I will believe I've seen it all, but this morning, as I was looking for something else ENTIRELY, I stumbled into this.

And it made my eyes bleed to read it.

I, literally, had to stop, back up, and read it again (so certain, I was, that I'd somehow mixed it up while rushing through it). Sadly, it didn't change on the reread.

The Baptists, their leadership housed right here in River City (behind bulletproof glass, no less), is now admitting that homosexuality may, indeed, be biological.

That's right. Read it again, if you don't believe me.

Huge steps for this group, I agree. However, they offset that particular wisdom by insisting that even if homosexuality is biological, it's still bad and this flawed genetic predisposition can still be corrected. Perhaps even prenatally. (Because, you know, if we can fix it while they're still in the womb, they won't be "born that way".)

And before you go to the inevitable "abortion" conclusion, let me just add that Dr. Mohler believes that even if you have to raise a child who is an abomination and will be condemned to Hell because of his/her sexual orientation, it's still preferable to abortion, so it should continue to be opposed, even in such wretched circumstances.

Well, THAT'S good!! I'd hate to think how many narrowminded, God-fearing conservatives would be rethinking their stance on abortion if they thought they could, through genetic testing, determine that their children were...::gasp::...homosexual.

It make me mad to see how these religious zealots, when forced to deal with science and the world they live in, still manage to twist something hateful out of something natural. I suppose trying to accept that their previous interpretation of the teachings, or even that the prophets who wrote those teachings, could have been wrong, is too much to ask. I suppose that admitting to the centuries-long mistake and taking steps to embrace people who they have so actively harmed with their disdain and vitriol, would be too much to ask. Much easier to explain it away with original sin infecting us even in our genetic code. (Plus, you know, continue to treat the situation as needing correction.)

The explanation (and recommended treatment for the "affliction") will certainly cover them on the gay marriage issue, too. As condoning such a thing would clearly conflict with proposed efforts to help the gay community overcome what Baptists will view as a 'birth defect' (instead of the deviant lifestyle choices which was the previous stupid reason that Baptists clung to heretofore).

I love what Aletha Fields, a minister at a progressive church here in town, had to say about Dr. Mohler's comments...

"What would be really interesting if there would be a prenatal test that would detect and determine bigotry," said Fields, whose group ministers to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons.

"I wonder what the treatment would be -- I suppose some love-thy-neighbor hormones and some peace hormones," she said.


Right on!! Let's see the Baptists step up to help correct some of THOSE issues!! Doesn't that seem far more Christian anyway?

4 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Boris said...

I love this--nice job!

Unfortunately I don't think there is a prenatal cure for bigotry, since this is something taught.

Perhaps the parents should be prescreened before reproducing. Or reprogrammed.

3/15/2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Thanks, Op!

Unfortunately I don't think there is a prenatal cure for bigotry, since this is something taught.

Yeah, yeah, I know you're right, but I still liked the sound of it. If we're gonna go to the trouble to do genetic alterations "in the oven", then I think I'm gonna vote for things like eliminating the hate and ignorance first.

Of course, what you're not hearing is how if babies are gay in utero, then it's "how God created them". Because, then it might be a 'thing' to tamper with their genetic make-up.

And, you know, for that matter, if man was created in God's image, who's to say the 'infection from original sin' isn't the heterosexuality, instead of the homosexuality?

3/15/2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Wow.

I am certainly glad that I'm a Christian and not a Baptist...

3/20/2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

I hate to break it to you, but Baptists believe they are card-carrying Christians, too. So do Catholics. Big club, huh.

3/21/2007 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home