The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Can't Find My Way Home

Come down off your throne and leave your body alone.
Somebody must change.
You are the reason I've been waiting so long.
Somebody holds the key.

But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time
And I'm wasted and I can't find my way home.

Come down on your own and leave your body alone.
Somebody must change.
You are the reason I've been waiting all these years.
Somebody holds the key.

But I can't find my way home.
But I can't find my way home.
But I can't find my way home.
But I can't find my way home.
Still I can't find my way home,
And I ain't done nothing wrong,
But I can't find my way home.



While River City's skyline didn't make this list of the Top 15 Skylines, I still think it's pretty awesome. Though I'll be the first to admit that I may not be completely objective about it.

Not quite a year ago, Highlander and I were sitting on the opposite bank of the river looking at this very same skyline as the sun set. Pretty nice stuff. We should do that again soon. Well, when I can walk more than a few hundred feet again, anyway.

It's your first look at River City if you're coming from the north. I suppose all skylines evoke a certain sense of excitement and of "place". This one is no exception to me. When I see it, I feel home. Not the only thing that makes me feel at home here, but it's on the list.

For years, I wanted nothing more than to head back north to the place of my birth. So many memories from my youth tugging at my heart. But now, so many things hold me here. Less and less of them, against my will.

Last summer, we went north for vacation. I had a lovely time visiting family and showing Highlander and my girls all the places from my youth. My old school. The house I grew up in. The beach I played on as a little girl. I think they all had a nice time, too. I hadn't been there in 18 years and, as you'd imagine, the town looked very different to me. Smaller and so much more "industrialized" than I remember it. Some of it the development that happens in the natural course of things. Some of it the embellishments of my memory, I'm sure. It will still always be the place I was born and, subsequently, will always hold a cherished and special place in my heart. But, it's not home anymore.

I was just feeling a little lost at sea today and decided to remind myself that I'm home. And all the warm and fuzzy cliche's that go with home apply. And that's pretty darned nice feeling right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike Norton said...

Wow! Look at the colors coming off that film of oil...

Oh, wait, I'm so damned used to the Delaware and Schuylkill I forget that it's not necessarily the same everywhere else.

3/28/2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Btw, thanks for reminding me of that old Blind Faith song. I have that on CD somewhere but haven't listened to it... I don't recall how long it's been.

3/28/2006 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me a long time to find a place to really call home. It's a nice feeling though isn't it?

Have a fab day : )

3/29/2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

I'm still searching for home. I used to think it was here, since it is so close to my original "home," and family, but it hasn't felt like home for a while. My stepbrother gave me a framed pix of Boston's skyline as a gift a short while back, and it almost brought me to tears. One day...

Oh I love that dirty water....

3/29/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Doc Nebula said...

River City... and especially the Highlands... are starting to feel like home to me, too, baby. But I'm not fooling myself; it's a spurious emotion. Our HOUSE is my home; more specifically, you and the girls are my home. We could live anywhere.

But I do like the Highlands...

3/30/2006 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home