The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Flashback Friday!

I'm instituting a new Theme Day idea around here. Not sure if I'll keep it up, but we'll see. It came to me kind of in layers. I had seen a post on Bluegrass Mama's blog, that reminded me of a funny story from my own past (which I shared with her briefly,via email). And then, because I'm really, really old, I started thinking of several funny stories from my own past that I could share. And rather than pick just one, I thought maybe I could do one a week. Sort of like Opus' Fiction Friday series. So, until further notice, Friday will be my day to open up and share a flashback.

This particular moment goes back to my college days. The very early 80's when I was young and sassy and naive (what a dangerous combination) and a freshman at River City University. As I walked from a parking lot on the far side of campus to one of the two liberal arts buildings on that fateful crisp fall morning, I hadn't a care in the world. Dressed in one of my then favorite outfits, a tartan blue plaid flannel dress. A cinched waist and a very full mid-calf skirt, it felt like I was wearing a nightgown. I so loved that dress. I had thrown on a pair of pantyhose and some navy flats and I was on my way that morning.

After slowly making my way across the bustling campus, enjoying all the activity and the weather, I worked my way through the crowded lobby of the liberal arts building and headed up the stairs to the second floor. My classroom was at the far end of the long corridor off the stairway, and, after fighting through the throngs of people in that corridor, I finally got to my classroom. Most of the class was already full, and as I looked for an empty seat, there were only a very few left. At the far opposite side of the room.

At this point, I had probably passed 100 people on my way from my car to my seat in class. Unfortunately, no one I knew. I worked my way to the back of the class and the first available seat, put my purse and books down on the desk, reached back to smooth the skirt of my dress as I sat down, and...

and...

and...

all the blood drained from my face. There was no skirt to smooth. None. I didn't want to draw the attention of the possibly two or three people who had not already noticed my situation, so I didn't look to see how bad it was.

But, I had. Yes, I had. I had tucked the entire skirt of my dress into the back of my pantyhose. My entire ass hanging out for all to see as I'd walked across the whole campus of a HUGE university. I thought my brain was going to explode as I began to panic wondering whether I should sit down and try to make it through class until everyone left the room and I could quickly fix it before leaving. Could I possibly sit through an entire lecture embarrassed and thinking everyone in this room has seen my ass and knows I'm sitting here with my dress tucked up in my pantyhose? Oh, there was no way. Was there any way I could fix it quickly now without making things worse? Nope. Didn't see that happening either. In my mind, I only had one option.

I calmly (so as not to draw more attention to the situation) picked up my purse and books, worked my way back through the classroom and out into the hall and to the closest ladies room, where I corrected my wardrobe malfunction. I then walked directly to the registrar's office and dropped the class. (I just COULDN'T go back in there and face those people who had seen a side of me I usually didn't share so easily.) And as soon as I got home, I took off the dress and, despite how much I loved it, put it directly into the trash. I honestly feared that if I wore it again on campus, I'd hear people who might not have recognized me otherwise, whispering "There's that girl that walked all the way across campus with her ass showing!". Or worse, hear Nelson Muntz going "Ha, Ha!" and pointing. (Though, technically, I don't think the Simpsons were around until 1987, earliest, so, you'll have to forgive me the reference, but it totally applies in retrospect.)


I never did see or hear any of that, of course. In fact, so many of those people were busy with so many other things, that, looking back now, maybe only a handful of people (at most) ever even noticed. But it was earth-shattering at the time. Of course, I find it very funny now. One of those things from my hopelessly naive youth. If it happened to me now, I'd laugh it off and never give it a second thought. But then, oh, I was mortified!! I suppose I've got a little more self-confidence (as well as the ability to laugh at myself...though I always had a pretty good dose of that) now than I had then. I guess it helps.

Dee, if you're lurking, I know you remember this story. Damn, I miss that dress!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SuperG, that was hysterical. I'm so sorry....hee, hee. But it's so much better to laugh at things like this years later.

If I may start, here's one of mine. I wasn't so young or naive but definitely a lightning rod for bad luck.

I was living in Boston, and husband (we were dating at the time) lived in New York. I lived with a roommate on the top floor of a very big, very cheap but very old house near Boston College. It was one of those rare summer weekends when I found myself completely alone. My roommate was visiting her parents on Long Island, my landlords (Orthodox Jews who rarely traveled) were away. It was hotter than hell on the second floor so I was kicking around barefoot, in a tiny tank top (no bra) and tiny yellow nylon running shorts (the ones with the built-in underpants). I had a deadline, so I took my proofreading, a glass of water and the telephone out onto the tiny back terrace, where we'd set up a table and a chair. First I called husband and chatted a while. I didn't really notice the breeze blowing the door shut. I chatted some more, then I had to get to work. I did some proofreading. Then I wanted more water. The door had locked behind me. I didn't have a key. I didn't remember ever having a key to that door. I was trapped. I considered my options. I knew that our living room window was open on the other side of the house, but I had to get someone with a ladder, or get myself down, first. Yelling loud for a neighbor was out - college was out of session and nobody was around. Jumping from the second floor didn't seem appealing, dressed as I was and the fact that my landlady's rose bushes were just below.

Then I got my period. Panic set in. All I could think about was where I could get a ladder in a hurry.

So I called the fire department.

They came, got up to the second floor, opened the window, and let me in. I'm sure I gave them a good story to tell.

When my landlords came home, I asked them for a key for the door. They'd never had one either. So I never went out there again without bracing it open.

3/11/2006 2:13 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Opus -

I tidied things up a bit for you. Thanks for sharing the story. Good thing you had a phone, though. A blog I read with some regularity, recently found it's author locked in a bathroom with a missing doorknob and only a pair of underwear and a tank top that she'd worn in there before showering. Can't tell you how pleased I am to have avoided that particular embarrassment. Though it certainly sounds like one that could have happened to me.

Stay tuned for more embarrassing flashbacks. I got a million of these!!

3/11/2006 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny stuff, especialy in the Mental Picture department of my mind, where photocopies are being rattled as as fast as the old contraption will spew them out and pasted up everywhere.

I suppose it's my turn for a colossal embarrassment/funny story...

Hmm, honestly, I seem to have been far too cautious in my personal life. Can't think of anything on the embarrassment front as epic as your stories. But, a funny story does come to mind...

Come to my blog for the tale...

3/11/2006 4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet if that hadn't happened you could totally wear that dress around now. The 80s are soooo back!

My entire past is riddled with embarrassingly funny moments, but after the aliens abducted me and cleared my brain I haven't been able to recall any of them.

– Texas T-bone
http://tbone.redeaglespirit.com

3/11/2006 6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! I finally remembered a Great Moment in Complete Social Embarrassment!

I was around 13-15 at the time, hanging out during summer vacation at my friend's house. I had recently seen some sappy romantic movie, can't remember what one so don't even ask, I probably had to sit through it to act as my mom or dad's remote control one time.

So, I'm over there, hanging out, and I decide to do something to entertain my friends. So I walk up to this enormous tree (seriously, the trunk of this maple was over 10' thick) in their front yard, and pretend to be making out with it while saying:

"Oh, darling, I love you when your molting!"

And is was right about then that their dad came out and just stood there for a moment watching me. Then I started stammering something, and he (and I gotta believe that at that point he was doing a masterful job of fighting the urge to laugh so hard he cried) interrupted me, for which I thatnk God to this day, and said;

"Maybe you should just go home for a while."

3/11/2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

T-Bone -

How unfortunate that the world will never know the horror of your youth. And as for that dress, in style or not, if I had it now, I'd MOST ASSUREDLY be wearing it.

Nate -

First, Who let the dogs out? But, I'll speak (speak, get it...heh) to that more on your blog. I'm glad to have inspired you!

Oh, and while we're on that topic, please let your Mental Picture Department be kind!

And I'm not shocked to hear that you're a 'tree-hugger'. Some of my best friends are, too. They don't usually pucker up, though.

3/11/2006 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there--love the Flashback Friday idea. And yeah, when I read your post on Friday I thought "Hey, I'm doing something special on Fridays too! Funny eh?"

Love the postcard post--I always pick up vintage ones at the flea market. They make me happy : )

3/12/2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Ooooo, like this idea, very much!

Is it Friday yet?!!?

3/13/2006 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home