The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

They're Coming Right For Me!

Didn't intend to stick a second post up here today, but sitting here on the third floor of this five story building, I've been enjoying something I only get to a couple times a year. And wanted to share it with all of you.



Part of the kick-off event (which happens in two days) for Derby is a truly spectacular fireworks show. The other part is a pretty cool air show, with jets doing tricks, and vintage fighter planes, etc. All of this takes place along the river.



A couple barges will be parked in the middle of the river for the fireworks. And there will be a myriad of people picnicking at the parks along the banks watching the planes flying over head during the daylight and the fireworks after it starts to get dark.

But, that's two days from now. And here we are now. One block from the river. The jets are already here. Know how I can tell? I keep hearing the rolling thunder in the distance that keeps getting closer and closer and closer, until...THEY ARE BUZZING OUR BUILDING RIGHT NOW!!!!

It's bizarre to be on the phone, attempting to conduct business, and hear jets come screaming towards you. You're wondering if you need to get off the phone and crawl under your desk in a duck and cover manuever, because you're not sure if they are going to crash into the building or just fly reeeaaaaallllyyy close to it. Either way, it's difficult to keep your mind on work when it's happening like every 5-10 minutes for hours.

I feel like I'm having 9/11 flashbacks and I wasn't even in New York or Washington when that happened. But it is, most definitely, freaking me out!!

I suppose they are practicing for Saturday's event. And I'll be glad to be a little farther from the river here in an hour or so!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

...which reminds me of a funny story I heard regarding liability insurance for air shows.

Basically, the cost of liability insurance for an air show is based on how much the average lawsuit for a dead spectator will cost, multiplied by the expected number of deaths, divided by the probability of an accident. It's all very chilling and clinical, like some sort of Nazi accounting system.

4/21/2006 1:17 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Which reminds me of a fireworks show I saw in Atlantic City. The barge caught on fire. All the fireworks went off at once. The audience thought it was the grand finale, and cheered.

I'm not making this up!

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/07/05/fireworks.barge/index.html

4/21/2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

Which reminds me of all the air shows I've been to over the years with Husband (an aviation buff). We went to the grandaddy of all of them for our anniversary a couple years back, the 100th anniversary of flight in Dayton, Ohio. Went on for four days, probably topping out at 100,000 people on the busiest day. It was a mellow crowd, but if you needed a porta-potty break, you had to plan in advance and bring all your supplies. THey would change the lineup of the show each day depending on who showed and the weather, whatever. One of the acts on the docket was the Pyrotechnics team. Each day they attempted to set a new Guiness world record for longest line of single explosions. (Each day they broke their previous day's record).

I heard they were loud, but I didn't know how loud.

So the first day, there was a break between a couple of acts (break only meaning that they were doing things like parachute dives and wingwalking and things I've seen so many times already) so I beat it for the Porta Potties. I finally got inside when BOOOOOOOOMMMMM! The whole thing shook.

I thought we were under attack. Or that one of the planes had exploded. I grabbed both sides of the booth to brace myself for another impact.

But it was just the Pyrotechnic team in action.

4/22/2006 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home