The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Astro-Turf


Changing gears, just a bit. Need to get some things in my life back into their regular groove. And then maybe I will, maybe I won't, blog about them. But, for now, a theme day here at The Oral Report. Nothing like changing the subject, huh?

The photo to the right is included for all the geek boys that hang out around these parts (see, I do like you!), as well as to help illustrate that, today, The Oral Report is all about Outer Space. (See how deftly I completely avoided the obvious jokes about The Oral Report orbitting Uranus?)

One of the cooler links I've run across recently is a place called Tonight's Sky. It gives you an idea, monthly, of what to see in the sky at night, allowing you to plan a little star-gazing in your area. I see a midnight astronomical picnic in my (and Highlander's) future.

But I don't think that Astronaut Ice Cream will be on the menu. I feel for the astronauts having to eat freeze-dried food. I really do. But, I'm not so distraught that I have to live through it with them. Uh uh. But, hey, if you want to, you can.

A photo site that seeks to shed light on NASA's Faked Moon Landing shots ! See for yourself. You won't believe how obvious some of these are.

This site has the most extensive list of "space" links I think I've ever seen. If you want it, he has it.

Here's the blog of a 24 year old Kuwaiti girl who dreams of being the first female arabic astronaut. A pretty big dream in that culture. But, hey, I'm all about the inspirational female empowerment stuff.

SETI has given it a little thought and come up with Eight Worlds Where Life Might Exist. Keep this list handy in case of bird flu pandemics or Iranian nuclear war. It probably wouldn't hurt to start sucking up to the Kuwaiti astronaut girl, either.

Or maybe this female pioneer, instead. This news story about Eileen Collins is a piece about the first woman US space shuttle pilot and first woman to command a US space ship of any kind who is now leaving NASA to pursue other interests.

The replacement crafts for the aging shuttles are still at least 5 years off, according to NASA chief, Michael Griffin. But that estimate is still 3-4 years better than the previous one.

Have you ever been curious about what the Outer Space Treaty says? Well, now you can take a look for yourself.

And just for Tony Collett, here's Store Wars. A flash animation with his favorite theme...;) I'll admit I may have emailed him this some time ago. I honestly can't remember. But, even if I did, I thought it was worth sharing with the rest of you, too.

Live long and prosper, gang!

4 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

I'm immune to the gold lame' bikini. To me it's just lame. I didn't even know it was a geek thing until Ross told me.

Other than that, I got nothin'... don't dare follow too many unknown links at work. But nice post, baby.

5/02/2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger FindingHeart said...

Somebody passed a clip around last week at work. Very realistic video of the first step on the moon. Right after he steps, a large light bar falls into the frame. People walk from off screen and talk about setting it back up. Hillarious.

Thanks for the links.

5/02/2006 11:42 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Astronaut ice cream is likely as terrible now as it was 20-odd years ago when I last tried it. For all I know what they have for sale now was manufactured at the same time.

As for The Princess, I always recall how once she was armed with a blaster and trying to escape back in the 1977 film she got in at least one harsh blaster shot to the crotch of some poor storm trooper.

5/03/2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

H -

You keep saying you need new glasses...;)

FH -

That clip would have been most appropriate to include in here.

Mike -

I've never tried Astronaut ice cream, but even for novelty's sake, I can't say I have any interest whatsoever.

Sole -

I was kicking it old school. But, maybe, given the (not even) luke-warm response, I should have gone with a little Natalie Portman.

Sheesh...where's Tony Collett, anyway? Buehler. Buehler. Anyone?

5/04/2006 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home