The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Some Recent Developments

Some pictures back from the photomat and, I'm sorry, but the mother in me just INSISTED on sharing them with the world. So, I've asked my eldest darling daughter and, with her permission, here are a few pics of her before she headed out to her prom.

That's [Kid 1] on the left in the brown and teal gown. Gorgeous dress that she and her dad picked up on clearance months ago. I found some dynamite dressy brown sandal heels with beading on them that went so well with the beading on the dress.


A full-length shot of the dress, with my kid in it, of course. The look on her face says it all. She was looking forward to a great time and apparently wasn't disappointed. This is the gregarious, never-met-a-party-I-didn't-like kid. So, she was definitely in her element.

Though you can't see her hair well in this shot, it was just a waterfall of curls in back. My sister, who is a former beautician, came over and handled hair. Lucky thing, too. She'd have been much worse off with me trying to do it.



I, on the other hand, was in charge of make-up and corsages. The kids didn't have much money and they were going to the senior prom at the artsiest (is that a word?) school in town. I have been known to throw a silk flower arrangement together, so I volunteered to do some wrist corsages. While Highlander and I were out picking up supplies for this, he spotted some really pretty butterflies. And I immediately decided that I could get away with making them the centerpoint of an arrangement with some small white flowers and some greenery to round it out. Maybe too much, but they got tons of compliments on them!

Here are the girls just before they headed out the door, boogie shoes at the ready!

It seems like a million years ago that I was dressed up in a baby blue gown heading out the door to my own prom. How can it be that the baby, whose birth I just recently recounted in a Mother's Day Flashback Friday!, is old enough to be going to prom? It really does go so fast!

They really did have a lovely time and if you didn't notice, I'm one incredibly proud mama! Savor every moment, all you parents out there. They grow up at lightning speed.

9 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Okay. With Super Drama Teen/Kid 1's permission, let me get it out there -- yes, the Asian chick was Kid 1's date to the prom. Yes, they're an item. Yes, they're very happy together, and we're very happy for them. Yes, we're horrible liberal godless parent figures and should be beaten in public.

There. Now, with that out in the open, everyone can comment on just how good Kid 1 looks in her prom dress. Because she does. And people should also comment on how cool those butterfly corsages were, because they were.

Folks, start your keyboards.

5/23/2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

At least you ASKED your kids permission to post pics. You are nicer than I am. I just post my kids pics.

On a more serious note, you are lucky that the two girls were allowed to attend as a couple. In my area, there was a "special" prom for g/l kids, because the local schools would not allow them.

5/23/2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Forgot to add, she is lovely

5/23/2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Having only went to a prom because my girlfriend wanted to I have no nostalgia for it, though I hope these two girls had a great time. Unlike your #1 gal, I've seldom met a party I've liked.

They both look lovely.

Thanks for clearing that up, H. It was one of those items that's difficult to know how to approach, as either making a presumption or rushing in to ask could each lead to some offense. The week's been rushed and when I came by the first time it threw my stride off a step, so I set it aside rather than blunder in.

Kid #1 has lovely eyes - not to disparage her in any other way, it's just that they immediately attract attention.

Compliments, too, on the nicely done make-up. It's so nice to see someone with an alabaster complexion not rush for some blood-red shade of lipstick. Staying with a light shade and/or a lip gloss is so much nicer. Granted, it's not generally an area a guy will comment on without having his manliness become suspect, but I've long felt this way about makeup. Too many women start in with strong and heavy makeup from an early age, leading them to horrific death masks by the time they reach even their middle years.

5/24/2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

H -

Heh. Do you have to be right EVERY time?

Julia -

I've posted pics of them and then let them know later. For some reason, and now I couldn't explain it better, this seemed different. These pictures seemed somehow more important. I don't know. As for being nicer than you, I doubt it. And I can get references if you need them...LOL!

I mentioned your post to my quite liberal-minded daughter and she immediately turned into a hippie militant circa 1963. No way that a "special" prom would be in her plan.

It truly amazes me how many openly gay kids are in the schools now, male and female. I don't FEEL that old. In my day ::she says as she shakes her cane at the whipper snappers::, NOBODY was out. Anybody who was outted (and I only knew one, ever), was publicly humiliated and high school became a hell only he could imagine.

Mike -

Thanks for your note. While lamenting about why no one was commenting on my pretty girl, he said that no one wanted to be the first to ask the obvious question. I honestly didn't even think about it. And when he brought it up, I talked to my kid and she was like "well, sure, tell 'em.". She's very comfortable with her relationship. It cracks me up that after H posted his comment, out you all come. Heh.

A little eyeliner will FORCE you to notice the eyes. And while you can't tell it in any of the pics, they are a lovely shade of blue. In fact, all the kiddies have pretty blue eyes. Each in a slightly different shade, which I find interesting...if not a complete digression. As for her make-up, I'm a fan of "less is more". I did the eyes a little fancier, because of the occasion, and the lipstick is a shade she wears (when she wears lipstick, which is not every day) is actually kind of a burgundy color. It's very flattering on her. Sometimes I wish I hadn't handed down the ivory skin thing to her (and Kid #3, actually), but I guess there are worse things.

Kid #2 is far less comfortable in party situations. The other two are the wild ones. My own prom is a story, too. Not sure about a Flashback Friday!, though. Believe it or not, there are a few things I keep to myself...;)

5/24/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Just to clarify, the opening lack of disclosure wasn't a major issue, but it was one more thing to possibly stumble over and so one more reason to hold back on making a quick comment on the run while heading into the center of the work week. When dealing with anyone's pictures of their kids one usually either goes the cliche routes or holds back.

I hadn't been by to look at the pics much earlier (which surprises me, but I was more surprised to see these were posted Saturday, as I kept thinking they were a late Monday into Tuesday thing -- which must've been when I first came back after Saturday) but even if it had been clarified I still might have held off until when I had a more relaxed time to toss in some comments.

Concerning the eyeliner, sure -- especially when the complexion's light.

Both my sons picked up my recessive trait for blue eyes, too, however much it's hidden behind my very dark brown ones. With Ari having green eyes it was a 50:50 chance, and the Aryans won the toss (so to speak) both times.

re your comment to Julia: I haven't discussed the specific issue (ie is there anyone "out" in their school?) with my kids, but my expectation is that up this way anyone who came out of the closet at that stage would still have a hell of a time. I could simply be completely out of touch, though. Jocks, "wiggers" and goths have all been mentioned, but I've yet to have either son remark on any gay/lesbian contingent at the school.

It's something for me to ask about tonight.

re your comment to H: Oh, Jesus. There'll really be no tolerating him now. ;)

5/24/2006 7:42 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Mikey -

I'm sorry if I made it seem that it was a major issue. It's certainly not to me.

With regard to the openly gay kids around these parts, I'm not saying that they aren't dealing with some homophobic behaviors, and that teachers aren't (in some cases) actively discouraging them from being open about it, but it's nowhere NEAR what it was when I was in high school.

As for H, well, I refuse to take the credit for that. He was incorrigible before I met him and you know it!

Heh...my confirmation word was wumqy. And I will take credit for H being that...;)

5/25/2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The girls are quite lovely. And as a chuckle, whenever I leave a message on my parent's answering machine, I always say it's from their 'eldest darling daughter'.

5/25/2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

I, too, am the eldest darling daughter. I suppose we have to take our status where we can make it, huh?

5/25/2006 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home