The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Suction Cups, Tea Cups, Dixie Cups, C-Cups


My older girls used to play soccer. They played in an all girls league for years. Finally, they were of an age where they were the matrons on the squad and decided they'd had enough. While each had their own particular strong points to bring to the team, neither had a professional future in the game. My youngest has had no interest in pursuing it at all. Perhaps, if they wore tutus and played music WHILE the soccer was in play...but, other than that, no.

All of that is to say that I've had some minor soccer background. Being a soccer mom counts, right? But the World Cup is not my cup of tea. (Hey, I watched the Super Bowl. I've met my sports quota for the year.)

Everywhere I look this morning, it is becoming clearer and clearer that I am alone here. The poli-blogs here and here, and here all have a little something to share, but even self-proclaimed "non-watcher of sports" Mike Norton has a little something to share. Can the apocalypse be far behind?

There's a test to see if you'd win the World Cup (though it seems like something more...), a World Cup Death Watch and even sex and religion get their turn on the field.

When my own kids were running up and down the field, I didn't get it. I thought it was great that they were getting the exercise and meeting some kids their own ages, but if it hadn't been my kids out there, I'd have had no interest in soccer whatsoever. World Cup, or not, I feel as indifferent about this soccer as I did that soccer.

I'm sure it's a matter of my own personal taste shortcomings, as there are significant numbers who would, most assuredly, find my choices here to be flawed. I have no difficulty appreciating the work that these athletes have put into preparing for this competition, don't get me wrong. It's just that I find creative and intellectual pursuits to be, for me anyway, more of an attention grabber.

Sure, there are some hotties, but even the “old” guys are like ten years younger than me. That just makes me sad.

Still, it's better than turning on the tv and seeing that no charges will be brought against Karl Rove. I guess that's something, huh? Though it's no sphygmomanometer, is it, Nate?

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Norton said...

"Can the apocalypse be far behind?"

I certainly hope not. Can we scheduled it for first thing next Monday morning? Give us a chance to get in one, last, good weekend?

6/13/2006 8:57 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Before the release of SUPERMAN RETURNS? Are you insane???

Hang in there, Mikey. Do what you've gotta do and get on to the next hurdle thrown at you. You're an inspiration to the rest of us with this stuff. I hope you know that.

6/14/2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

I heard on NPR that there is a group of monks somewhere who normally are committed to a monastic, non-pleasurable life but as their country is participating in the Cup, they were given a television for the duration as long as they did not wager, cheer or show any kind of enjoyment.

If only this was on every channel here instead of summer-replacement reality shows...you know, like "Wanna Get Bombed?" and such.

6/16/2006 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home