The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

No Ticket Series - II

Haven't done one of these in a while...

But, hey, it's deluging here in River City, so why not hang on the computer while we're trapped indoors. By Tuesday, we'll have flooding everywhere. So, kind of in the tradition of Nero fiddling while Rome burned, how about another You Tube concert?

Many call her the "Goth Princess" of the music scene, but none will argue that Amy Lee has one of the most powerful and hauntingly angelic voices around. [Kid 1] introduced me to her about 4-5 years ago and I've been a fan ever since.

While most of her work has been as the "front man" for Evanescence, I've also included a collaboration she did with Seether, as well. I'll start with the first song I ever heard her do. It's an acoustic version and will (hopefully) show you that that gorgeous voice is not a product of serious production techniques.

MY IMMORTAL


WHISPER


GOING UNDER


TOURNIQUET


LITHIUM


EVERYBODY'S FOOL


BREATHE NO MORE


HEART-SHAPED BOX (Not the video content I'd have liked, but what can you do?)


SO CLOSE


MISSING (No video content, but the best copy of the song I could find)


BROKEN (with Seether)


HAUNTED


CALL ME WHEN YOU'RE SOBER


IMAGINARY


TAKING OVER ME


and Highlander's favorite...

BRING ME TO LIFE

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Norton said...

Thanks for presenting this, as it's generally good to be exposed to different things. If I'd heard of Amy Lee, Evanescence or Seether it had the weight of a cocktail party introduction as I have no recollection of it.

A goth rock style has its place, and I could see something from this making its way into a mix tape, but there's too much a sense of sameness for me to want to take a concert hit of her. Then again, this is all just a first impression and some of what would become my favorite performers were not ones I embraced the first time or two I heard them.

Lee's voice is a pleasant, warm flow, but most of the time she seems to treat her tongue and teeth as if they're something she's trying to keep out of the way of the sound coming from her throat. In that she sometimes comes across as a more mellifluous rendition of Kurt Cobain's style; forming words sometimes seems a secondary concern.

I'll point this out to my wife, though, who is more likely to be into the sound.

1/14/2007 1:07 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

For what it's worth, Mikey, in my opinion, the style works, but, yeah, I'd like to see her change things up a little more, too.

She's become terribly easy to pick out on the radio, but I deeply like her sound. Hadn't realized how depressing it would be to put all her songs together like this, but I'm probably overlooking it more than someone else might, mostly because I really enjoy her voice.

Not everything here is a favorite, but if you're gonna do the hit and miss thing, I'd recommend BRING ME TO LIVE, CALL ME WHEN YOU'RE SOBER, and maybe MISSING. BREATHE NO MORE and the acoustical version of MY IMMORTAL are about as different as things get in this grouping, though.

Maybe the next artist will work better for you. (Hope Ari digs on this one, though.) Don't worry, I've put Ben Folds Five on the list of future performers for the No Ticket Series...;)

1/14/2007 3:31 PM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

As it turns out Ari was already something of a fan. In general, with everyone in the house now having MP3 players and so having become much more a matter of singular listening I hadn't heard it.

No knocks intended. It would be a rare thing for something that isn't already close to something I already like to grab me right away. The voice and the talent are there, it's mostly a matter of finding the selection, time and mood to connect with it well.

As for Ben Folds, who was someone to grab my attention almost immediately, one quickly sees that whether it was with "the five" (actually him and two other guys with various others pitching in here and there) or as a solo artist - as he's largely been for over five years now* - it's all so much his material that it's often difficult to tell. That may have been part of the frustration for the other guys. Ben appears to have an approach similar to Todd Rundgren's, playing more than one part and layering a performance together.

*Rockin'The Suburbs was when he went solo, though it took a while to be heard since he had the singularly bad luck for it to be released on September 11, 2001. It was a little while before stations got back to digging into new music, and he was largely lost in the backlog.

1/15/2007 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home