The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Discombobulated

I'm feeling a little confounded. All the news that's fit to print isn't helping one damned bit. So, let me recap, just a little, about what's going on in this country today...

A high-ranking employee of the Homeland Security Department was arrested for soliciting sexual acts from a 14-year old minor via the internet. Somehow, I don't feel safer. I mean, is this how it's supposed to work? Confusing, especially, on the heels of the unbridled mismanagement of Hurricane Katrina. But, that could just be me. I'm thinking that some of these employees may not have their hearts in their job. Though maybe part of it is that this type of predator isn't a priority. And I defy you to find one article on this story of a 13 year old boy and the inappropriate attentions of his teacher, that does not indicate that they had sex 28 times in one week within the first 3 sentences. (Most will have that information in the headline.) Somehow, I'm thinking that's not really the point. Would it be somehow better if it were only 14? Or 7?

Personal bankruptcy filing rates have plunged to an all time low. Which would be excellent news if it meant that the economy was doing well enough that people were actually able to support themselves better. Unfortunately, what it means is that we've changed the spreadsheet to make the numbers appear better. We're nothing if we're not tricky.

Casualty numbers in the Iraq war are up so high that this San Diego hospital is expanding. I suppose that means more jobs, right? Now, if we'd give some of those jobs to immigrants, would that hold off this boycott? But, hey, at least the war effort is succeeding. At least we've got the Iraqi's right where we want them. And other than the daily bombings and dragging to death of U.S. soldiers, we're mopping the floor with them.

And we're sharing nuclear technological information in an effort to keep the arms race at bay? I'm missing something here. We didn't want to breach national security with a port deal, but somehow this is okay. Yeah. Okay. Wha?? Maybe, it's in someone's best interest to keep the country (world?) at war and maintain wartime powers? Then, again, I tend to be a little cynical.

3 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

We must have caught something, baby; everyone seems to be ignoring us both.

Oh, well. At least we have each other. ;)

4/06/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

I think you're right!! It must be the Cooties!! I forgot to get a Cootie shot...damn it!!!!...;)

4/06/2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Weird... did I spend the last week in a coma? Doesn't seem right that I haven't posted a reply on either of your blogs in almost a week. Seems like it was yesterday...

Weird...

4/11/2006 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home