The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Short and Sweet

Two things from last night that I wanted to share. The snippets from my life are so sweet right now. Well, most of them anyway. Check this out.

#1

[Kid 2] and [Kid 3] accompanied me to pick Highlander up from work last night. [Kid 3] likes to go hide by the front door and "surprise" him when he comes out. Shrieking and leaping and generally making him feel like she's excited to see him. In the few moments that she was laying in wait, [Kid 2] and I had the following conversation.

[Kid 2]: Highlander is pretty happy isn't he.

Me: Well, I know he had a pretty rough day at work today, but if you mean with his life overall, yeah, I think so.

[Kid 2]: He never thought he'd have this, did he?

Me: No, [Kid 2], he didn't.

[Kid 2]: It's just that...it feels really good to be part of giving him that. That something that he never thought he'd ever have. I really like thinking I'm part of making him so happy.

Me: Yeah, I know what you mean. It is nice, isn't it?

[Kid 2]: I'm really glad we found him, Mom. And I'm glad he found us.

Me: Me, too, Sweetie.

[Kid 2]: Do you think he ever knew how good a parent he could be?

Me: No. In fact, he used to waste time arguing with me about it. I told him I thought he'd be fabulous at it.

[Kid 2]: He really does a good job, Mom. He really makes me happy.

Me: I'm glad. He makes me pretty happy, too.

I have wonderful kids.

The confirmation just keeps on coming. And it feels so good!

#2

In the car, on the way home, [Kid 3] was begging me to take her to the park once we'd gotten home. I explained to her that it was getting too late to go to the park...what with baths, etc. Highlander suggested that maybe he and I could eat our dinner on the porch while she played in the front yard. Which is what we did.

We had barely finished dinner, when [Kid 1] and [Kid 2] came out on the porch and said they'd prepared "dessert" for us. They know he and I are both counting our calories pretty religiously, and, as they'd never done anything like this before, it was a little curious...but very cute. [Kid 1] offered to stay outside with [Kid 3]. [Kid 2] was hitting the showers.

Highlander and I walked into the darkened kitchen to find two candles lit on the table and two low-fat, sugar free pudding cups with two spoons awaiting us. Silly, yes. But the gesture was incredibly sweet. We just smiled and looked at each other.

Life is pretty good, folks. Pretty good, indeed. And it's filled to brimming with love.

Our house, is a very, very, very fine house...

2 Comments:

Blogger ashe higgs said...

With two kids in the yard? (and one in the shower, of course)

I know for a fact that H's life used to be so hard.

Glad that's changed. Gives me hope.

6/16/2006 2:59 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

I never knew mine could be so good, TM. It's pretty sweet for all of us around here in the bubble, these days.

6/16/2006 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home