The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Flashback Friday!

Look, Ma! No hangovers!!

While I certainly had no shortage of reasons to get drunk yesterday, nary a margarita crossed these luscious lips. Instead, embraced in the bosom of my family, I had a most lovely birthday evening...completely sober.

Generally speaking, I start thinking through a Flashback Friday! post on about Wednesday. This week was no exception in that regard. I had narrowed it down to a couple possible posts and then yesterday, with my uber-exciting day, I completely switched gears. Then, this morning, I switched them in an altogether different direction. Those of you who know me, know that this is, unfortunately, not terribly unusual. I have a penchant for overthinking things. In any event, in honor of my recent birthday, I've decided to do a few memorable (that rules out the college years...heh) mini-Flashes from the Ghost of Birthdays Past...here they are, in no particular order.



I'd been dating the Baron for just over a year, at the time of my 22nd birthday. We had very casual plans that night. I was to meet him at his place (he didn't have a car at the time) and then we'd likely go do something together. In those days, I was driving my old Ford LTD. It was missing a front bumper and had assorted dings and dents. It was my first "real" car and I LOVED it, but I had no illusions about it. It ran, but it wasn't pretty.

At the time, I was working nights at a laundrymat and didn't get finished until about 9:15. Baron was living about 15 minutes from where I worked and so I headed over there directly afterwards.

He was renting a gorgeous house in a very nice neighborhood, though it had one fairly minor drawback. Parking. There were very few driveways, so street parking (on both sides) was the norm. As I was heading up his curvy street that particular evening, a car turning from a side street had some (understandable) difficulty seeing the oncoming traffic and struck my car. The damage was minimal and I was more miffed about being late (especially since I was about a block from his house) to start my birthday soiree'.

The guy got out of his car. Looked over the damage to both cars and asked me if he could give me $100 and we could just both go on our way.

Hmmmm. My birthday. Raggedy car with minimal new damage. $100. Oh yeah. I'm in.

Can't remember what we did or where we went that night, but I remember being in a much better mood!

*****

I've gotten much better about surprises now, but on the occasion of my 9th birthday, not so much. My mother had planned a surprise party for me and my younger sister (our birthdays are twelve days apart), that year. She had our Grandmother take us out shopping, while she got the party prep done.

When we returned home, the house was full of kids, some my friends, some my sister's. I was furious. I suppose feeling that she'd gotten something over on me. Being a complete beeyotch, I refused to attend the party and retreated to my room.

Several guests, my Mother and my Grandmother each tried to persuade me to come downstairs. But, I was having none of it, and spent the entire party holed up pouting in my room.

That'll show THEM!

*****

The first time I ever got flowers from a man was on my 17th birthday. They were the most beautiful yellow roses. I've seen many yellow roses since, but never as lovely as the ones my father gave me that day. I remember him putting them in my arms and tenderly telling me that he had always considered seventeen a much more significant birthday than sixteen, and that he was incredibly proud of me. He made me feel like such a princess that day.

*****

I'm sure there are others I could share, but right now, I should really get some laundry done before my kids head back to their Dad's house tomorrow. Feel free to share any amusing or poignant birthday stories that won't get you arrested.

Have a great weekend and 'God Bless us, everyone.'...;)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

Happy Natal Anniversary!

Shame on you for not letting me know/me for not remembering if I already did.

Hope Highlander worked his usual magic...

9/23/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Happy Birthday Sweetie!!

I hope you have a fantastic time and you were spoilt rotten!!

xoxoxox

9/24/2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Nate -

Not my style to make a big deal of my birthday. I doubt I told you when (but I know when yours is...and it's coming up!), but it's okay. Highlander, did, of course, make it a very nice birthday!

YGF -

Wow! You got YOUR wishes on MY birthday! That's pretty cool!

9/27/2006 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home