The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Monday, March 19, 2007

These Small Hours

Another busy weekend (will there be anything else between now and the wedding?), but wanted to share just a snippet or two...

* Selling Girl Scout cookies at a local grocery with [Kid 3]. She had such a blast doing it and was actually pretty good at it. Not to mention, it gave her the opportunity to hang out with her friends a little over the weekend, which is something she doesn't get to do much.

* [Kid 1] had a dinner party on Saturday. The parents of the Academic Team captain thought that the kids deserved a formal dinner in celebration of their year. I thought it was a sweet gesture on their part. So I was trying to think of something to send along and, thinking that a bottle of wine would be a little inappropriate (given the kids' ages), I was having a difficult time coming up with something else. And then it hit me. A celebratory bottle of the bubbly is exactly the right thing to send along. So, when [Kid 3] and I finished hawking cookies, we picked up a couple bottles of non-alcoholic sparking grape juice. Not knowing the menu, I picked up a bottle of red and a bottle of white. A few ribbons to match the school colors tied around the necks of the bottles and they were good to go. As I understand it, they were a hit.

* Playing Apples to Apples with the kids Sunday evening. All the kids. [Kid 3] inadvertently playing the best card of the night (that's my spin, anyway). The green card played was "BORING" and she threw out Gen. George S. Patton. When my folks first moved us to River City, my mother had a standard tourist plan for when our out of town family would visit. There were two stops. One was the Patton Museum. Which I have visited dozens of times. Believe me, one time was plenty. One of my dad's brothers and his wife still joke about how many times my mother took them there. It was, without a doubt, the most excrutiatingly boring trip ever. Of course, [Kid 3] didn't know that when she played the card, but she hit a chord, nonetheless. Her response, "I don't know. He just sounded boring." Well, maybe not to most people, but definitely to me.

* [Kid 2] BEGGING Highlander and I to chaperone an upcoming field trip at her school. We're going to try to work it out for her, as it obviously means alot to her.

* I only got one of two wedding projects STARTED over the weekend, when I was hoping to have them both completed. Ugh! I did find out some good news about the wedding location, though. But there are still those who just don't get that my life is "none of their damned business" and stop in here multiple times each and every day, so I'll have to share that bit of news elsewhere.

A crazy, hectic KIDS ARE HOME weekend, but as Rob Thomas says...

our lives are made
in these small hours
these little wonders,
these twists & turns of fate
time falls away,
but these small hours,
these small hours still remain


Indeed...

5 Comments:

Blogger Tony Collett said...

Kathy wants to know if you were the judge that round on the A2A game.

3/19/2007 12:37 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Indeed I was, Tony (and Kathy). The littlest one got the card (and a few more before all was said and done). I'm sure her choice was unintentional and she was unaware of my history there, but she nailed it nonetheless.

3/19/2007 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the little Scouts who sell them outside the stores here are pretty scary. I was afraid one girl was going to bite me if I didn't buy four boxes each of Thin Mints, Tagalongs and Lemonades.

- T-bone

3/21/2007 12:02 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Is that your story, T-bone?

My little brownie was throwing her arms out wide, cocking her head a little to the side, sticking out her bottom lip (just a little) and saying, "Won't you PLEEEEAAASE buy a box of girl scout cookies today?" Many of the shoppers did look pretty intimidated...as they were leaving with their cookies...

3/21/2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Behold, the power of cheese.

I got sucked into buying three boxes myself... and promptly left them anonymously on my neighbors' doorsteps. Too much sugar.

3/26/2007 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home