The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Kryptonite

Do you have irrational fears? 'Cause I have irrational fears. I'm not alone here, am I? I mean other people freak out when a can of biscuits rips open like a cannon retort. Or squirrels are just kinda sitting there...giving you that look that says, "I'll tear your throat out the first chance I get". Or you can't stand to watch someone quickly lick an envelope from side to side because you are certain...CERTAIN...that they are going to get a hideous, disfiguring paper cut on their tongue due to their total carelessness. Right? Okay. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't only me.

Now, irrational fears aside, everyone has their own "kryptonite". That thing that will expose their weaknesses and reveal them to all the world for who they truly are. And while the things I've listed above will probably get me some sideways glances and more than a few snickers...and have, actually...they aren't my kryptonite.

I'd imagine for some, it could be their blog. The revelation of deep, dark personal secrets. Revealing business secrets in a public forum. The world linking you to your blog and it coming back to wreak havoc in your life. Stuff like that. Not so much, me. At least, not yet.

For some, I'd imagine it's life's illicit temptations, be they drugs or sex (or some other flavor entirely). Your real life finding out about your fantasy life and bingo, bango, bongo...you're trashed. But, again, I'm less about the drama. Well, at least as much as a crazy woman, managing Hell, with two teenagers, a kindergartner, and a troublesome ex, can be less about the drama, that is. So, those wouldn't really apply to me either.

Liars. People who justify their own reprehensible behavior by convincing themselves (and anyone else gullible enough to listen) into believing that they don't have a problem. And then watching as the truth comes for them at break-neck speed...shattering the little cone of silence they've constructed around themselves and their followers. This is not me either, though. The honesty is just much easier. And the game-playing has never been me. Never will be.

Now, at work, I'm the tough construction chick. I don't take any crap. Ripping their asses off and handing them back is the modus operandi. I hold my own with laborers and foremen and owners, alike. And all that kinda stuff has earned me a pretty tough reputation. Oh I still get flirted with once in a while, but mostly, I'm one of the guys. So, if they knew they could make me cry, like a little girl, it would be devastating to my ability to do my job. OMG, I'd never hear the end of it. Never. That said, I take great pains to keep from anyone ever seeing me do it.

My desk is at the far end of a large architectural studio. It affords me cloaking ability when I need it. Ducking my head behind my monitor makes me virtually invisible while I'm at my desk. If any of the guys I regularly have to tromp found out I would cry, let alone could cry, I'd be ruined. So, on the rare occasions that I find myself doing it at work I take great pains to conceal it.

I might still get the "pity" vote. At least from a few of them. The respect, though, earned from years of being tough enough to do what needs to be done without fear...without backing down...that'd be gone. Forever. All the hard work of getting guys in this industry to treat me as if I know what I'm talking about and not as if I'm some uppity FEMALE trying to break ranks, would be for naught. And it's taken me years to get where I am. It's not something I want to hand back quite so easily.

I mean, hey, just because I'm having a bad day doesn't mean I can't still take care of business. But being sensitive around here is definitely a drawback. A flaw. A handicap. And no slack will be cut. Trust me on this.

That's the round about way of saying I'm a little weepy today...and I'm hiding out. Stuff going on in my personal life and I can't elaborate about it yet. But, lucky for me, I have Highlander and my wonderful girls (and all of you, dear readers) to get me through.

6 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nebula said...

Odd that you have a post on Kryptonite and I have a post on Supergirl's weirdest romances at the top of our blogs at the same time.

I've corrupted you. Heh.

I hate it when you don't have any comments. Don't these people realize you are doing brilliant work here? CHRIST! Our Commander in Chief is pissing in the face of all that's good, sane, and rational on national TV, and millions are applauding him, and you can't get one lousy comment? It's a crazy world.

Okay, well, now you have one lousy comment. Hopefully better ones will follow.

I love you!

2/01/2006 5:44 AM  
Blogger ash said...

I don't think I could call any of my fears irrational, they all seem too rational for me. Which makes them that much worse.

2/01/2006 6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Highlander, I was getting around to posting a comment...sometimes life, love, and children keep you from doing fun stuff, like reading blogs! (har, har)
Anyway, I understand irrational fears, teenagers, AND troublesome ex's...
I'm lucky, though, my ex lives out of town so his "troublesome"ness is limited to every other weekend...AND i hate liars...note the direct connection to this comment and the comments regarding my ex!
Sorry you were feeling weepy...I had one of those days yesterday, too...completely collapsed on the phone to the new boyfriend, but luckily he flew to my side and it was all better! Sounds like you need a "chicks night out", S.G....
what's your favorite highlands bar?
get out and soak something up with some gal pals...
hope today is better,
Peanuts

2/01/2006 7:13 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

H -

Maybe everyone was busy watching (in gape-mouthed horror) as the shrub was weaving his web. Obviously, medications and a long winters nap would have been necessary immediately following. Consequently, they didn't get around here until this morning.

But, as always, you're a doll and I love you.

Ash -

I totally understand the reluctance to label them "irrational" (and I actually remembered yet another one last night...I can't sleep with closet doors open. Not even a little bit.), but I suppose if other people don't recoil in anywhere close to the same way I do, it may...and I said MAY...be me.

Peanuts5 -

Heh...actually, lady, the connection you note is more than coincidental here, too. I'm sure more than a few of my friends around here picked up on it. Things will, unfortunately, be getting worse before they get better. But I have an excellent support team at the ready. And the whole "right makes might" thing, too.

As for my fave bar, well, I haven't been a party chick for a good many years and don't do much drinking. But, if I had to pick one, I suppose it'd be the Dundee. Nice thought to get out with the girls, but I've got MY girls right now and when I do I want to spend as much time with them as I can. In a week and a half they'll be heading back to their dad's place for two weeks.

And today is much better, thanks, guys!! Something light and fluffy later. Promise.

2/01/2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I can relate to the crying thing.

I work in a "Man's field" too. But I do have one thing in my favor...I've been doing this work almost as long as some of my co-workers have been alive. But I know I'd lose all my credit if they ever saw me crying.

Sometimes it helps me to list all the people who love me/who I love. I'm serious...it's posted in my cube.

2/01/2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Julia -

I've been in construction (at last count) 23 years. I don't have any co-workers quite that young...but close.

Thanks for the tip. I may try it. But, I'm just one of those people who cries. I cry when I'm happy, too. Damn me! Keeping a secret identity sucks!

2/01/2006 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home