The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Simpsons Ultimatum

In between all the drama yesterday, my hubby and I had a "Date Day". The younger kids are with their dad this week, so, given my half day Fridays, gave us an opportunity to spend some alone time together. We'd both been wanting to see THE SIMPSONS MOVIE, plus THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM was opening and we both had an interest there.

The original plan was to see a movie and go out to eat. But I couldn't make up my mind on the movie. I tried. Really, I did. But I just couldn't. My mind began formulating a plan, even before I'd considered the absurdity of it. Why couldn't we see BOTH movies? If we could work out two matinees, the price would be more realistic. But could we really do that? Wouldn't that be ostentatious? And was it a double-billing that just wouldn't work anyway?

I'd never done anything like it before. It seemed too big a dream.

I began to look at the logistics of it all. Could it be pulled off? And if so, could I be the one to pull it off? It didn't seem likely.

Our neighborhood theatre was showing both films, but the closest to a back-to-back experience I could get, and keep both shows in the "matinee price range" was with a two hour gap in the middle. Well, we could use that time to go out and grab and early dinner, but that wasn't the way I wanted the experience.

I nearly gave up at that point. Feeling defeated, I began trying to choose between the movies. But who could do that? Chocolate or vanilla? Damn it! I wanted BOTH!!

River City is a big town, with many moviehouses. Friday morning I looked at the schedule for the next closest one and found a set up that would allow us to see THE SIMPSONS MOVIE a mere 20 minutes after THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM had ended. Both as matinees. I hadn't really worried overly about the order, but (especially in hindsight) I likely would have rather seen THE SIMPSON MOVIE first.

In any event, we pulled it off. Even with THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM starting late and running a staggering amount of trailers. I'm happy to have had the experience and happy to report that I really enjoyed both movies.

My husband will tell you that he enjoyed the second show more than the first, but I felt just the opposite.

BOURNE really doesn't disappoint in the action department. Incredible car chases and fight scenes (one of which, I'll admit, looks choreographed) keep you on the edge of your seat. Matt Damon delivers, once again, and while I still think the first movie in this franchise is the best, it was a great deal of fun.

After the intensity of the first movie, THE SIMPSONS MOVIE didn't mesh quite as well for me. It was funny and there was certainly an abundance of classic Simpsons' behavior. Bart and Homer's dysfunctional relationship, Burns' heartless, self-serving nature, and how each resident of Springfield remains so true to character in reacting to a crisis. Just that it may have been too significant a jarring between the two styles.

In any event, I really did enjoy them both and am delighted to have had the experience of seeing two shows, back to back.

On the way home, we decided to pick up some Chinese carryout, as opposed to a sit-down somewhere. It worked out well, as I'd picked up [Kid 3]'s favorite stuff, too. We'd barely gotten in the door, when she showed up (having been cut loose from work early).

Not long after, [Kid 3] took off, having made some plans with a friend, leaving the old folks to entertain each other. Much Magic The Gathering ensued, as we mulled over a grocery list/menu for the week and talked off plans for welcoming a new resident to River City.

Today will hold grocery shopping and housework, as the kids come home from my ex's tomorrow evening (due to a small modification to the regular schedule), but all in all it should be a pretty quiet weekend.

Hope you guys all have a good one!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

Wow, [Kid3] has a yob already? Well, start 'em young, I guess...

8/05/2007 7:38 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Oh, and BTW, when I get down there, can I borrow your sphygmomanometer? Mine's all rusty.

8/05/2007 8:08 AM  
Blogger Evil Genius said...

Last time I did that I had just seen Frieda with my sister and a friend. We were walking towards the exit past all of the other theatres when I said in an offhand manner, 'Oh, 8-mile. I really want to see that.' So, my sister says, 'its just starting, lets go!' and yoinks us in there (sans-tickets!) Anyway, it was good but did detract from the first movie, like there was no time to ruminate over the first movie before being taken into an entirely different world - so, I concur, it can be kind of weird and jarring to watch 2 diff types of movies back to back!

8/07/2007 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home