The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Death Watch Duty





Usually Mark Gibson handles this stuff, but I saw this notice today (a little late in my reporting...apologies, gang) and wanted to do it myself.





I heard that Madeleine L'Engle died this week. It's been decades since I read A WRINKLE IN TIME, probably her most famous work.

Ironically, as I was reading this notice of her passing I was struck with the odd mental juxtaposition of it with the recent Harry Potter discussion on my hubby's delightful blog. One quote I've plucked from the piece...

Although L'Engle was often labeled a children's author, she disliked that classification. In a 1993 Associated Press interview, she said she did not write down to children.

"In my dreams, I never have an age," she said. "I never write for any age group in mind. ... When you underestimate your audience, you're cutting yourself off from your best work."


I wasn't familiar with that quote. Given recent discussions, I suppose it struck a chord for me. I'm not as familiar with her later work, but would certainly recommend this book for anyone who has missed it heretofore.

Just passing along the sad news...to her fans of any age.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

. . . (moment of silence)

She... will be missed.

9/14/2007 12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea. This is sad news, indeed.

9/15/2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Only Child and I had just read a Wrinkle in Time a couple of years ago for school. It was a revisit of it for me, new to Only Child. She gave us a way to connect as mother and daughter and as avid readers. A true loss to the literary world.

9/16/2007 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home