The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Birthday, Baby!

Today is my darling husband's birthday. You know him as "D", "Highlander", "Bunnyman", "Doc Nebula"...I could go on, but it's probably best I quit making it so easy for the NSA and so hard for the feds over at the Witness Protection Program.

As I was saying, though, today is his birthday. We have plans, this evening, to go see a movie (THE MIST) and get a late steak dinner out. And all of that is just peachy.

What is not peachy is how my usually adept ability to pull together a day to make my husband feel special (complete with presents, etc.), has fallen entirely short this year. Now, I talked to him last night and explained that this really cool gift I had ordered, arrived damaged and I've spent the last three weeks trying to get it resolved. Unfortunately, it appears it may take another week...::sigh::...or two...to get it completely resolved.

Sure, I could run out on my lunchbreak today and pick up something for him. Something last minute, but something I know he'd enjoy. But it just feels wrong to me to do that. I was really excited about giving him the gift I'd originally ordered, and anything less just feels like a consolation prize to me.

But it's incredibly aggravating to have to tell him that he is going to have to wait to get his present. Especially after the very wonderful birthday celebration he pulled together for me a couple months ago.

So, last night, operating on far too little sleep, I apologized to him for the lack of a present. And he did what he always does, he told me it would be fine. He reminded me that having me and the kids were all the birthday present he needed. That sharing our lives with him was a most precious gift.

Maybe all the birthday dinners, and dinner and a movie out tonight, and a little nothing project I put together for him (which I shared this morning), will buy a little time for the present to come through.

I hope so.

'Cause I really do want him to feel special on his special day. And I'm hoping, since I blundered it so badly this year, that I can get a little help from you folks to make it better. Feel free to drop him an email, or to post a comment here (or on his blog) wishing him a Happy Birthday. I hope that will help today feel more festive for him.

If not, I'm gonna have to resort to sex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home