The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

If You Can't Stand the Heat

I have been in the kitchen alot this week. Yeah. I know it's only Tuesday.

It's a good thing I really like to cook.

But I'm telling you right now. After Thursday, I am taking a vacation from the kitchen for about 3-4 days. Minimum.

My darling hubby's birthday is tomorrow, so I promised him a week of his favorite dinners leading up to Thanksgiving. I really hope he enjoys it. I am thinking I won't be doing it again any time soon.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm doing it because I want to make him happy. But I'm already worn out and I haven't made the first thing for Thanksgiving yet.

To recap, on Saturday, after a FULL day of cleaning and shopping, etc. I made homemade pizza for him.

Then on Sunday, I made chicken tenders, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and corn (broccoli if you were in the first wave) for dinner that night and pre-cooked some chicken for a chicken pot pie we had last night and threw together a pan of lasagne that we're having tonight.

Monday, I finished up the pot pie and also baked a homemade triple layer dark chocolate cake with white icing (with some mini choc. chips between the layers) and got to bed around midnight. I also premade the spread for tonight's garlic bread.

To keep on schedule, I'll have to bake the lasagne and garlic bread for dinner tonight, and then make my traditional cranberry relish (one of my favorite dishes at Thanksgiving) and two homemade pumpkin pies.

Wednesday, we are planning to go out for a celebratory birthday dinner and movie (with Nate and [Kid 1])...likely because the thought of trying to squeeze one more homecooked meal in there would have been dangerous...and then baking a frozen apple pie when I get home, and mixing up the herb butter I use on my turkey.

I doubt I can get much more done ahead, so I'll be up pretty early on Thursday and get my dressing mixed up, my turkey greased up and into the oven, throw together a green bean casserole, make two kinds of cornbread muffins (damn you and your great sounding recipes, Giada deLaurentis!), yeast rolls, mashed potatoes, corn, peas and mashed sweet potatoes.

We're planning to eat around 3PM. Shortly thereafter, "Martha" will be leaving the kitchen.

For a few days.

Unlikely there will be time to post again between now and then, so let me take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving holiday!! While we all have some stress going on in our lives, Thursday will present us with the opportunity to take a few minutes to reflect on the people and things most precious to us.

Lastly, everyone should wish Tony Collett a Happy Birthday today!!

Me? I gotta go weird with it.

2 Comments:

Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

It is as though you are some type of kitchen/cooking ninja. I am jealous, except for all that cooking part. Yeah. Would you maybe ninja in and do some of that around here? After you've rested? Maybe?

11/20/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Whoa...Kitchen Ninja. That sounds SOOOOOO cool. I think the closest visual I have to that is Iron Chef.

As for takin' my "ninja" on the road. Well, I never say never...

11/21/2007 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home