The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Let Me Bring You Up To Speed

A funny thing happened on the way home from work the other day.

You know how when you were in school, teachers were always telling you how the things you learned would be things you would use in everyday life? Sure, you rolled your eyes at them (everyone does), but recently I had occasion to utilize some of those lessons firsthand! Follow along with me...

(Very large roll-off tow truck)









Plus




(Hoopty 1994 Honda Accord)











Plus $100.00


Equals




(Really Nice 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan!)






I'm no math whiz, but I was delighted by the results of that equation!! (Especially since my insurance rate went down $94.00 a year for the new car!)

I was taking my regular route to pick up [Kid 3] and made it a total of four blocks from work, when a distracted repo man ran a light and totalled my car. First things first, no, I am not hurt. Not at all.

Many ambulance chasers were saddened by this news, and tried to correct my misinformed, not medically-educated, conclusion of the situation.

Somewhere, in Pennsylvania, a man is calling me "Crash [insert correct last name here]". I hear ya, Mr. N. But it totally was NOT my fault. This time.

Given that we were looking at some pretty costly, unfortunately necessary, repairs on the Honda, it really was very oddly fortuitous that it happened when/how it did.

The van is in great shape and is so much more comfy and hauly and I'm loving it!! So far, it would appear that everyone else is, too. Gas consumption is ::cough:: a little more than the Honda...and given fuel prices, my budget is feeling it...but the trade off is WAY more than worth it.

So, I'm guessing that some of that math stuff I learned in school really may pay off after all. African Geography...maybe not so much...but, you never know...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really glad you weren't hurt--and the van looks very nice---totally suburbanized and I don't want to hear any more about my truck!!!!!
Carmazer

2/11/2008 2:10 PM  
Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Glad you weren't hurt! We've had a mini for about, well, I guess nearly 6 years now and so far, I wouldn't go back.

2/11/2008 10:34 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Carmazer & FADKOG -

Thanks for your concern!

I've personally fought the minivan thing for a really long time. I just didn't want to buy in to the hype. In fact, I drove a station wagon for years as my own little protest. Yep, sometimes I'm just that mental.

Also, as for your truck, Carmazer, I'd like to note that I'M not the one who has made any comment whatsoever. That said, I'm pretty sure the intended recipient "got it"...;)

2/12/2008 6:21 AM  
Blogger Mike Norton said...

Very happy you weren't injured, Crash. ;)

Our first mini-van was a Grand Caravan and it worked out wonderfully for us. We'd bought it with considerable mileage already on it, and that was back when I was still dealing with a nearly 70 mile round trip commute, but it held up fairly well, including at least one vacation trip to So. Carolina and back. Different makes and models since then, but we liked the space and utility of minivans enough that we've stuck with them.

These collisions sometimes do happen at excellent times, eh? A couple years after we married my wife's car was coming up for inspection and had several major problems including signs of imminent transmission failure; repairs were going to be more than the thing was probably worth. While it was parked in front of a friend's house (she was babysitting overnight because the friend worked night shift) a commuter taking a side-street was blinded by sun glare and plowed into it. The insurance check for the totaled car was a happy trade.

2/14/2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger Evil Genius said...

always afraid a mini van would make me transform into the stereotypical soccer mom that I loathe, and would probably to this day buy a more expensive gas guzzling SUV to thwart this, however I am very attracted to the 'push the button and the door slides open' function I've seen on them...
Anyway wow what luck to get into an accident serious enough to get you a new car but mild enough to result in no injuries! Sometimes fate works out in our favor :)

2/22/2008 5:58 PM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

Yes, glad you emerged unscathed. Minivans can be kind of cool...we drove to Ohio in one, with another couple. It made travel much more comfortable.

On the down side, Husband and I rented one on our honeymoon, and totaled the sucker. Long story. Good for an anniversary blog, this summer. ;)

3/08/2008 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home