The Oral Report

Standing up in front of the class was never so much fun!

My Photo
Name:
Location: River City, United States

The rantings and ravings of a mom of three wonderful girls as she finds new love while working like a dog and shaking her fist at the system. You know. Pretty much like everybody else.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

More Today Than Yesterday...

Yesterday, was a pretty good day.

And not even in that "pretty good day for a Monday" kinda way, either.

A gorgeous (and I MEAN gorgeous!!!) bouquet of pink roses and stargazer lilies showed up at my office before lunchtime. So large was this bouquet that it took two strapping men to deliver it. The pregnant woman in my office who signed for said bouquet was under doctor's orders not to lift it due to it's girth, and so she called for me to pick up my own damned flowers...or something like that.

The card read...

Happy Anniversary!

I Love You

Thanks for Making All My Dreams Come True

Love,

Your Husband


I would say the card simply read that...but despite the lack of volume, the content packs a very adequate punch. (Eat your hearts out, ladies!)

One year ago, yesterday, I married this very romantic and thoughtful man. It was a beautiful spring day full of music and the love of our friends and family.

Me, who swore I would never again walk down the aisle...

One year ago, yesterday, Highlander agreed to spend the rest of his life making me happy and being my friend and loving me. But not only me, my three girls as well. And we all agreed to do the same in return.

Some days are easier for him to do that than others...LOL.

Being a very...well...nontraditional couple...we had something in mind for our first anniversary. Since the kids were with us, and since he accepted all of us that fateful day one year ago, yesterday, it was a rather larger outing than most anniversary dates.

I left work a little early, picked him up, and then we did a couple errands before arriving at our place (with [Kid 3] in tow), just before 5PM. We changed into the shirts I custom-made last year identifying us as belonging to each other, loaded up all the kids and our best man, and headed out to do what is maybe the most sickeningly sweet anniversary thing ever.
We went to [Kid 3]'s favorite place in the world...Build a Bear.

Highlander and I selected a heart, made a wish on it, kissed it, and then place it in each others' bear. So, effectively, his bear has my heart and my bear has his. Goofy, I know. But, so completely adorable and unique that I had to go for it.

Plus, my teens, who have always wanted to buy one of these pricey bears (without actually having to spend their money to do so), were COMPLETELY excited about the prospect, and, of course, [Kid 3] was a giddy puddle of goo by the time we got there. Even Nate participated, upon finding work boots and a tool belt for his furry friend.

And so, after a delightful time of picking out the perfect "bear", stuffing them, dressing them and then giving the Build a Bear organization a rather hefty donation, we awayed to a very enjoyable dinner together.

As the weather was 78 with just a hint of a breeze, we found a nearby restaurant with a patio and soaked up the fresh air and yummy cuisine.

It was not difficult to step back from the picture to realize how very lucky I am...and happy...to be living the life I am living. Yeah, it's not all roses and stuffed bears every day, but my life is full to brimming with love. And I have chosen to spend the rest of it with a man who not only works so hard to make my life better and more joyful...but who does so for my girls as well.

So, while I am not going out of my way looking for bad days, I'll take them. Because the good ones far, far outnumber the bad ones.

Highlander, thank you for a wonderful first anniversary. And I really do love you more today than yesterday...but not as much as tomorrow...






6 Comments:

Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

How beautiful was this?! How great for all of you as a family! Happy anniversary!

4/22/2008 6:06 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Thanks, FADKOG!! It really was a pretty remarkable anniversary!!

4/23/2008 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tagged you for one of those internet memes you might've read about.

4/30/2008 9:21 PM  
Blogger Laurie Boris said...

Awww...that's so sweet! I can't believe it's been a year already. Congratulations, and the best of everything!

5/02/2008 4:36 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

I know that this particular event is not all about me, but still I think I want to say this.

It's gratifying, for me, to see that people actually can find happiness in this world. It gives me hope.

I wish you all could see them the way I do. They're like Spam and Velveeta, or peanut butter and baloney, or milk and Pepsi, or any two things that you wouldn't think would go well together, but they just become wonderful when thoroughly mixed.

And I helped do the mixing, sort of. Well, I've made a career out of licking the beaters, anyway. If only Superwife would not turn on the mixer while I was doing it...

5/14/2008 10:34 PM  
Blogger SuperWife said...

Tony -

Thanks for the tag and sorry I didn't play along. I'm like that sometimes. I appreciate the effort to pull me out of my non-bloggerness though.

Opus -

Thanks for the well-wishes. Sending you hope and hugs...both in ample supply.

Nate -

Okay, you have clearly had one too many beaters! Spam and Velveeta???? I've discussed this with my husband and we are in agreement that we are more like pepsi and velveeta. One is bubbly and one is smooth.

Mostly, I think what you're trying to say is that we're two great tastes that taste great together. And I couldn't agree more.

See ya soon!!

5/15/2008 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home